Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Also, fault on my SE Pro

MikeO

Staff member
So, this is intermittent and happened today three times. No matter if I am using my rechargeable battery or the AA pack the detector will suddenly pop up the “Battery Flat“ fault then shut off even though the battery is full.
Seems to be from my research related to the C6O5 big capacitor on the board from what I can tell. I heard the detector can also fail to start up also if this is bad or going south.
Odd thing is I opened the detector main housing up and looked at the big C605 Capacitor and it visually wasn’t swollen, leaking etc etc.
Here, this fella was having similar issues and his cap was bad but, he could visually see it was bad.
So, any idea where or if anyone short of MSR Detector in the UK might have a new main circuit board? Heck or even trying a new capacitor as I could solder that in.
Any serious electronic gurus like Charles or Ed or someone know a source for a new board?

Hey Mike,

I've had that in the past before and always solved the problem by cleaning the battery contacts and/or the spring contacts in the handle. I took my XS completely apart for the first time in years and gave it a deep cleaning. I also inspected the capacitors and did not see any signs of leaking or bulging. If contact cleaning doesn't work it looks like a simple and cheap job to replace that capacitor.

This year I bought an XS II to back up my original 20 year old XS. It is still my go to detector even though I own several newer ones. I'm too in love with the non mapped ferrous values. Not sure many newer users understand what it like to never have to look or care about any numbers on the screen.

Chris(SoCenWI)

Ok, talked to Steve Cox at MSR detector repair he said it’s not the c605 Cap causing my issue and it sounds like he knows exactly what’s causing my issue. I’m sure he’s seen this before so, off it goes to across the pond I guess.

Hey Mike,

I've had that in the past before and always solved the problem by cleaning the battery contacts and/or the spring contacts in the handle. I took my XS completely apart for the first time in years and gave it a deep cleaning. I also inspected the capacitors and did not see any signs of leaking or bulging. If contact cleaning doesn't work it looks like a simple and cheap job to replace that capacitor.

This year I bought an XS II to back up my original 20 year old XS. It is still my go to detector even though I own several newer ones. I'm too in love with the non mapped ferrous values. Not sure many newer users understand what it like to never have to look or care about any numbers on the screen.

Chris(SoCenWI)
I might try one more time going back through and redo the cleaning just in the event I missed something. Doubtful it will help but, I will redo in the event I missed a spot.
I think one thing I might try as I know my rechargeable batteries have seen better days is too buy a RNB lithium ion battery pack and see how that does. But, as I stated even with new AA in fill pack it still happened.

Steve recommended that I do not try to power the machine back up to prevent any future damage but, I can’t see how that would matter as this has happened atleast 12 times on two hunts and ever time I repowered on because I wasn’t going home when I could hunt. Lol

A shot in the dark. Have you tried tugging on the springs to expand them a little, the ones inside the battery compartment? Maybe the battery is loose and intermittent when you swing. The RNB purchase is win-win if you have to send it in anyway. A friend of mine who I can't contact now, had his SE do that, and his machine somehow corrected the problem. Sorry that I didn't get what the events were that made his SE work. I do know that he didn't take it apart though, or he would have mentioned it.

You logically torqued the springs already. Good luck. I still love my SE PRO but it does get dusty after all this new technology I keep buying. The SE is special though.

A shot in the dark. Have you tried tugging on the springs to expand them a little, the ones inside the battery compartment? Maybe the battery is loose and intermittent when you swing. The RNB purchase is win-win if you have to send it in anyway. A friend of mine who I can't contact now, had his SE do that, and his machine somehow corrected the problem. Sorry that I didn't get what the events were that made his SE work. I do know that he didn't take it apart though, or he would have mentioned it.

You logically torqued the springs already. Good luck. I still love my SE PRO but it does get dusty after all this new technology I keep buying. The SE is special though.
Yes, I expanded the two coils where the battery makes contact when I had machine opened up. That’s not the issue although I wish it had been. 😩

I have the old XS. So far so good.
Though the screen is getting dim.
Very difficult to see in daylight.
Even at night with back light on it's dim.
I read yrs ago there is a replacement screen.
Are they still available ???

did you measure battery voltage?
Yes, battery voltage is good. That is the AA pack with new batteries.
I have the old XS. So far so good.
Though the screen is getting dim.
Very difficult to see in daylight.
Even at night with back light on it's dim.
I read yrs ago there is a replacement screen.
Are they still available ???
Yes, as far as I know they are. I’m sure you can order one from Steve at MSR Detector Repair in the UK. I have seen them on eBay from time to time as well.

Yes, battery voltage is good. That is the AA pack with new batteries.

Yes, as far as I know they are. I’m sure you can order one from Steve at MSR Detector Repair in the UK. I have seen them on eBay from time to time as well.
Thank You MikeO
You wouldn't have a Link would you ?