Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Aluminum vs. gold sounds ATG

MikeLab

This is one I really would like to know better. The rectangular pull tabs (around 67-69 target ID) sound almost exactly the same as a gold ring to me. There is a stronger BuP sound with a hard "B" and a hard "P" that is a little bit harder and stays in the sound at a little more distance with the aluminum than it does with the gold ring. At about four inches above the gold ring it is gone. This is really hard to tell the difference for me. This is in All Metal with sensitivity at 8.

Now for the pull rings with the beaver tail (around 53-55 target ID) there is some sound before the coil gets over the target, then the "BuP" sound, then some more sound after the coil goes past. The gold ring does not have this "before and after" sounds.

Anyone who has some more info on this, please post it.

I hope everyone realizes I am new with this machine and my observations are most likely inaccurate. I did some more testing and found that almost any target can produce those "before and after" sounds if the coil is close enough. And if the coil is far away none of them have it. But the pull rings with the beaver tail do have a more pronounced effect at close to medium range. Of course you should do you own testing and not rely on my inexperience.

I notice that if I'm not looking at TID number, and go just by sound I'm pretty good at hearing the difference. I'm thinking of doing a hunt by covering the TID # and seeing how I do. Has anyone tried it yet?

I'm still working on this. Haven't found any gold yet so I can't say if what I am doing is right or not (works on nickels). When I find a target that is above foil (44+) I try to swing the coil very slowly in All Metal and it seems to me that gold has a clean, clear, distinct edge while aluminum stretches out sort of like pulling taffy, it just gets thinner and doesn't have the nice edge like gold. The gold stays tight and narrow even at very slow coil sweep speed.

I'm starting to feel a bit foolish here. Just when I think I have something figured out, I try it the next day and can't repeat the results. Possibly it is due to buried targets giving a different response than ones just laying on the surface. When I put some aluminum on the ground I could not get the stretched out sound on aluminum like I thought I was getting last night. I'm thinking this is because they are not buried, but don't know for sure. I still get the hard "BuP" sound and I still get a before and after sound on aluminum. I only get this on gold if the coil is very close. Now I think I am getting something like a "Waa" sound on a gold ring, definitely softer than aluminum. Again, this is in All Metal moving the coil very slowly--just about as slow as is possible. I'm trying.

One more thing on the "before and after" sound on aluminum in All Metal. There is a null spot just before and just after the target. So it's: before sound, null, target, null, after sound. Of course this is more pronounced when the target is on the surface, but it's definitely less for a gold ring.

I guess that's why so many folks "dig it all"! Just when you think you have it figured out you find a coin on edge near a pull tab that sounds weird so you dug it anyway. Some things are obvious, usually, but then you wonder after you pass them by....

MikeLab said:
I'm starting to feel a bit foolish here...

No need to feel foolish. It is this kind of careful and dedicated research that will make you a master detectorist long before me. I too thought that I had the sound figured out. I use an AT Pro.

I now began digging every mid tone. I figure after a few thousand of these, my ears and my brain will begin to know the difference. I have found two gold rings since I began digging all mid tones. Neither of the rings sounded different than the pull tabs and the foil.

Keep at it!

that is one thing about this hobby you will always be digging pull tabs no matter what !!!!....... or you will be missing rings and or nickels and I don't care what others will say about this topic this is the one
thing that you can't ignore.....:pulltab: