Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Always, always, ALWAYS, check your jewelry finds!!!!

Ronstar

Ok, short story but it drives home the point!
A few months ago I was checking around the “faculty” tennis courts near the Administration Building on the University Campus. Had put the 5” coil on the Fisher F5 as I could get closer to the chain link fence that surrounds the court, in fact 4-6” closer than the 11” DD. I hit a 50 cent plus 94-96 tone which being close to the fence was occasionally happening. I managed to figure out how close I could get without interference and still have the gain and threshold settings where I liked them.

I hit that signal just on the edge and it was a sharper report sound than the fence. I dug down about 4-5” inches and saw silver and blue sticking out. Ladies kinda gaudy looking ring and it looked costume (you will see the blue looks plastic like). There was some type of a hallmark inside the band but no visible 925 markings, none. When I got home I could see an initial and a symbol but no silver markings. Put the ring on top of the jar marked junk jewelry and forgot.

The little teddy bear ring I dug with the F75 yesterday was bent so took it to jewelry/rock shop and the girl straightened it and no charge. I asked if the gaudy ring could be checked to see if silver plated and it was taken to the jeweler. Another lady came back and informed “what a beautiful ring, you just dont see these much anymore.” WHAT?

It was 95.0 silver and the blue is called Sleeping Beauty Turquoise. Its antique and most likely Indian designed but she had no reference for the hallmark. Guesstimated age is 40-50’s and probably a “one off” piece (one of a kind) because it was obvious it was totally handmade. Had to look up Sleeping Beauty Turquoise and there it was, just like the blue in the ring! She advised current value $150-200 but collectors might pay more.

That ring almost went to the junk jewelry jar. I’ve advocated here before to double check everything before you separate or discard. Just look at the blue pieces, they look like plastic.........I almost junked it.

Attachments

• EAE595B8-FD0F-46B6-A0CA-4F73638CA0B5.jpeg
    EAE595B8-FD0F-46B6-A0CA-4F73638CA0B5.jpeg
    876.1 KB · Views: 203
Really nice ,, good thing you just happened to let her check it out for you. It doesn't quite look so gaudy now , does it ,,, 😁

Oh it still looks costume....... you have to physically hold this thing to grasp that concept. I suppose a turquoise collector might snap their neck if passing by but to the normal person they look like plastic beads. Only reason I took in was to get metal tested to see if silver plated and ended up being 950. Still scratching the ol noggin over this one. I have checked with the university and local police for lost reports now and nothing. No idea how long it was hiding

Oh it still looks costume....... you have to physically hold this thing to grasp that concept. I suppose a turquoise collector might snap their neck if passing by but to the normal person they look like plastic beads. Only reason I took in was to get metal tested to see if silver plated and ended up being 950. Still scratching the ol noggin over this one. I have checked with the university and local police for lost reports now and nothing. No idea how long it was hiding
Before my dad passed he had found what he thought was a brass ferrule. threw it in his junk pouch. I was with him that day and at the end of the
hunt during show and tell he said "look at this big ole ferrule". I mean the edges were really sharp from ground action or wearing it . When I
picked it up I said "Dad this is too heavy to be a ferrule" but it did look like one color was even brassy. Put my loupe on it--18K inside!!
It's gotta be fairly old they don't make 18k anymore. It's a wide man's wedding band. Your turquoise SUPRISE is beautiful by the way

Ronstar I'll try to post you a pic of the ring I just found it in wife's jewelry drawer. Not intending to one up anybody just sharing.
what you said about checking your finds is dead on!!

Ronstar here are some pics. Looks really brassy out in sunlight.20201026_213506.jpg20201026_213552.jpg