Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"American Digger" TV show being sued

I see where the "American Digger" TV show is being sued by Butch Holcombe and "American Digger" magazine for the negative publicity the show generates. Didn't Butch know what he was getting into when he started dealing with Ric Savage? I guess the show's entertaining, but I'm pretty sure that everything they dig is freshly planted. But from "Pawn Stars" to "Storage Wars", that's what reality TV is anymore; a well scripted show. Well, I guess in the case of "American Digger", not so well scripted.

I do not think according to the article I read that they are any way affiliated and that is what the law suit stems from. To me the show is a joke and a kick to the nuts for American Digger magazine and I hope they win there suit. Not that I'm in any way "for" sue happy folks but I think the magazine has a legitamate claim being that they are getting a bad reputation over this. First time I saw the show I was very excited for it..... to be very digusted after about 5 minutes. It depicts the hobby in a bad way and also leads people to believe they can find fortunes easily. If the show had more of the hard work and dedication us detectorists have for this hobby and the research then it would be nice to watch. Instead its all about greed and dollar signs.

Just my 2 cents and hope that I haven't offended anyone for I know that there are some that do like this show. BUT WAKE UP PEOPLE!!
HH Joe

It really is an awful show. Nearly made me sick to my stomach after seeing the first episode. I hope they get raked over the hot coals ..

Well Savage used to write for "American Digger" magazine, some sort of fakes column dealing with finds that aren't the real thing, and how to tell them form the genuine article and not get taken. Sort of ironic. I think Butch was on board until he took a look at the show and like all of us, and was shocked at the content. Then he justifiably wanted nothing to do with it, and saw that it was a big negative for his magazine. Well somehow the show retained the name. So I guess that's what the suit is about. I watch the show because I think it's good for a laugh, but unfortunately it makes the magazine appear not legit. And it's one of the best digging magazines I've ever read. But the place I used to buy it no longer carries it, because I used to buy it from a metal detector shop that's owned by one of the "actors" on the show. So I guess I'll have to get a subscription if I want to read it.

My daughter gave me a years subscription to American Digger magazine for Christmas last year and Randy Savage had a column in every issue until the protests and complaints about the show started coming in. When that started Butch dropped Savage's column. Butch also wrote an article in his magazine in which he said he had given permission for Savage and Nat Geo to use the "American Digger" name for just the first 13 episodes, evidently Savage and/or Nat Geo plans to use the same title for the next series and that's probably why the lawsuit was filed.

-- moved topic --

JB, Ric Savage ain't no Randy Macho Man Savage, God rest his soul.

The show has already affected my area negatively. A couple of places I've researched and asked permission to hunt have asked me if I have watched 'that diggers show' then they tell me they want 100% of all my finds... :wacko: My own aunt didn't want me to detect her property as she thinks there might be some big money in her yard and wants her son to detect it. Of course he doesn't even own a detector and has no interest in it. When I asked him, he told me she has been watching that show.... :rolleyes: I told her that I would be happy to show her son (my cousin) how to get into detecting so he could find all that loot on her property...:lmfao: I do my best by the hobby and try to return items that may have names on them, such as class rings, dog tags, etc... I try to educate people as to the reality of most of our hunting experiences, which most of the time literally ends up in a loss, monetarily. But to the true detectorist, provides an insight into our history with a hands on experience and, to us, is well worth the effort. I tell people who express an interest in the hobby that if an Indian Head, three ringer, or the odd button or broach doesn't get you excited and intrigued, then the hobby is probably not for you. As more than likely you will not find pirate treasure or double eagles.... Just my opinion of course, and if you have found either of the last two items then you suck....err I mean GOOD JOB! :lmfao:

You know, I think we should band together a bunch of us in our hobby, combined with some metal detector manufacturers, and sue that TV show to put a prominent disclaimer at the start in big letters that their fake finds and bad behaviour in no way represents the ethical character and realities of most in our great hobby. Aren't they slandering us here? Aren't they hurting the future sales of detectors when people can't get permission to hunt private spots anymore, or where public sites get banned due to inspired newbies throwing shovels of dirt 50 feet away, as that's what the show showed them as correct behaviour in our hobby? In fact, people don't even have to do that to get us band. Just political figures seeing that show will probably say "we've got to ban that kind of activity in our parks before it's too late", and next thing you know yet another site is off limits. If they didn't know the realities of our hobby and most of our ethical behaviours, can you really blame them? :shrug:

If I could find the kind of stuff and get the outrages prices they get for the things they supposedly dig up! I would be pretty darn rich by now! The show is a Joke!!!