Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AMES 7 in 1 tool

I've used an AMES for a year now and been very happy with it. It may not be the quality of the $30-$40 diggers but it is well worth the money for what they cost, I think I only gave around $13 for mine at a farm store. I've done some pretty hard prying with it too, I'm sure I could break it if I tried but it's a pretty tough tool, definitly better than the fiskars, I broke the handle right off one of those.

Excellent tool, got mine at ACE Hardware. It was the only tool that worked well enough to get thru nylon mesh reinforced sod lawns at schoolyards
in Georgia.
PB_diagram.jpg

Ames True Temper, 7 in 1 Planter's Buddy

It hurt for days when the pressure released all at once while I was prying down ..

I used the Ames tool for a while and liked it very well. It works great when digging in ground with small roots. I use one now with the guard between the blade and the handle and I will have to say I like a little better. I do think that for the money you can't beat it. Even though I have a new one I still take the Ames along for cutting through the roots. Works great

These are great diggers ,but watch when pushing straight down, the ( string cutter ) on the blade doesn't know the difference
between string and your thumb.:thumbdown: Just ask mine, my hand slipped down and my thumb went straight on to it. OUCH!
after that I ground it down.

Just a warning,from a friend

Yep, an excellent tool. Also cheap enough that I can keep sharpening it (gradually shortening and narrowing the blade) without worrying about wearing down an expensive digger.

I did break the first one I had using it like a prybar. You can't leverage it like a Predator or a Lesche because the tang doesn't go very far into the handle.

I mailed it in to Ames with the receipt and they sent me a new one, so my cost to replace it was the $5 I spent on postage.

My Raptor gets the most use by far, but this tool has it's place and if you're on a budget it's all you need.

I used mine as a pry bar one too many times and it too snapped. I called up Ames and they sent me a new one free of charge, I didn't even have to send the broken one back!! Great tool, though the new one was so sharp, I had forgotten how careful you have to be with it, and by the time I got it, I was using my lesche. I haven't gone back, so for now it is my back up. For the most part, I find it easier to dig plugs with the single pointed edge of the lesche style (meaning it penetrates a bit better through sod), and the pry bar ability of it is a little bit better. Conversly, the lesche sucks if you have any sort of root system. I miss that sawing action the Ames allows.

Love this digging tool,here's mine that i put on the bench grinder.Been using it for over 6 months now.Just need to sharpen it up after about every 20 digs or so.Watch those fingers though...

Meggie.

I would not recommend this tool!! I have one and the handle separated and I cut the fire out of my hand. These are for light duty digging and "planting," not hardcore digging! I had it for only a year when this happened. If you do choose this tool, make sure you buy two of them as you may "break down" in the field! As inexpensive as it is, you should have at least two. I would go with a tool that is made for what we do! Durability is the only way to go or else you will be digging with your fingers... if you still have any after using the 7 in 1!

AgJake

I've had mine for over 2 years now and it is still ok but needs sharpening. Of course I don't use it as a pry bar either but for digging in turf. It is perfect for that purpose.

I've only had mine a while but so far I love it.I have a Gator digger (Kellyco Lesche copy. Don't buy one.) and I use the Ames almost exclusively. Wicked sharp. Super fast at cutting slits or plugs. Plus you can just twist that weeder end in the hole to drill deeper. We'll see how long it lasts. The price is right. I've also heard they turn up cheap during end-of-season clearance as well.

I have a simalar tool, only gripe is the rope cutting tool on the side, I am forever catching my rag on it! I would like it with a point on it!

:usaflag:gunther1369....what are the specs for the sheath you made? Material, dimensions etc...I would like to try and make one myself. Or I could send you some $$$ if you would'nt mind making another one :thumbup:.:usaflag:

Hello....just my two cents worth...i bought one of these at Aubochon hardware when first got detector..its a Fiskars big grip garden knife...works great and very solid..and was only $9...curt

HI Folks; You may want to check out the Experimental Digger being made by MD-Epidemic above here.What do you guys think???? PECE:RONB