Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Analog vs Screen Machines

Dancer

There's always a debate. So watching the Forum's most of the postings tend to hunting old sites for Silver coins, and relics. Than Beach, shallow water. Park hunting rounds it out. Saying a hunter is past the newbie stage. What than makes someone decide on which one is best. The ole Beep & Dig or the newer Computer reliant machines. On the latter there is quite a hand full of successful machines to pick from. Since the fall of Tesoro Analog buzz has almost come to zero. As for me I've stayed with the Ole reliable AT Pro, The dated Garrett Infinium, but feeling the need for a newer powerful beeper I moved up to The Deep Tech Vista X. I'm 71 and my choices probably seem stale, buts they work well for me. In the end for a good hunt, it's up to the hunter to find a good site, have a machine he knows inside and out, and of course a dose of good luck doesn't hurt. Than choice of the different coils opens up another topic.

kittlitz

You have to understand your own strengths and weaknesses as a detectorist. I used screen machines for years, then tried a Tesoro more or less on a whim. I soon started finding more gold jewelry than I ever had with my TID machines. Not because the Tesoro was better than they were but because it was better for me. With a TID machine I tend to cherry-pick and talk myself out of digging the target. It's nice to be able to cherry-pick sometimes, but make too much of a habit of it and you'll wind up missing a lot of goodies.

Other folks may use TID machines more effectively than I do, and that's fine. I find I do better with audio-only machines, but certainly won't make any sweeping generalizations about how the two styles of detectors compare.

-Ken

RavRad

Ken's response sums up most of my thoughts perfectly. For me, even compared to the detector I have thousands and thousands of hours on which is the F75 platform, a Beep Dig machine produces better and more unique finds. Whether that be jewelry, or deep silver that might not have given the correct info to dig, o just random relics that don't fall anywhere is a typical coin hunters range, they just produce for me. I also like the slot machine part of the equation...I've never been one to thumb the discrim dials, as long as I'm getting clean audio I'm digging it.

I panic sold all my Tesoros when they folded, and finally, have a Deeptech Vista X delivering today. I've been without a Beep Dig for over a year and I miss it. There are times when I'm not in the mood for it, and I have the Equinox 800 and F75 for that also. Detectors for me are like fishing poles, I can't ever have too many.

chuck ky

Ken's response sums up most of my thoughts perfectly. For me, even compared to the detector I have thousands and thousands of hours on which is the F75 platform, a Beep Dig machine produces better and more unique finds. Whether that be jewelry, or deep silver that might not have given the correct info to dig, o just random relics that don't fall anywhere is a typical coin hunters range, they just produce for me. I also like the slot machine part of the equation...I've never been one to thumb the discrim dials, as long as I'm getting clean audio I'm digging it.

I panic sold all my Tesoros when they folded, and finally, have a Deeptech Vista X delivering today. I've been without a Beep Dig for over a year and I miss it. There are times when I'm not in the mood for it, and I have the Equinox 800 and F75 for that also. Detectors for me are like fishing poles, I can't ever have too many.
If you're only digging the clean audio signals you're missing a lot of good targets, I've dug at least 3 walking liberty halves that sounded really bad but the meter numbers were in the right range.

RavRad

If you're only digging the clean audio signals you're missing a lot of good targets, I've dug at least 3 walking liberty halves that sounded really bad but the meter numbers were in the right range.
You misread what I wrote. There is no meter to read, I was talking about my time with beep digs.

chuck ky

You misread what I wrote. There is no meter to read, I was talking about my time with beep digs
You misread what I wrote. There is no meter to read, I was talking about my time with beep digs.
That was my point, with only the sound to go by if you're only digging the clean sounding audio you're going to miss some good targets.

RavRad

It’s an odds game, and not all detectors audio response and modulation is the same. I’ve never dug a good target with the Vaauero or Mojave that had bad audio, and for the 1 or 2 in a hundred that may turn out to be something good the time wasted digging all the bad isn’t worth the time spent covering more ground and more good targets.

But not everyone is good at seeking permission and has to pound the same grounds, that might be a different story.

REVIER

I used both kinds over the years, an F2, an F70 and a Nox plus a Vaq, Compadre and a Mojave.
I found a ton with all of them including old coins and a lot of silver with my Tesoros and gold with the Compadre and Vaq.
I don't use the Mojave a lot so no gold with that one yet but I am sure it will happen one day.
There is no tone in our hobby as sweet as big gold sounds like when you roll over it with a Tesoro...it is that unique and every time I use one I am hoping to hear that beautiful tone just one more time.
I traded away my Vaq for the Mojave because that one had a hard time in my difficult soil but the Compadre and Mojave seem to handle it way better for some reason so they ain't going anywhere and I still pull them out once in awhile.

I have always said hunting with screens and hunting without are both very productive and a ton of fun but in different ways, (for me, anyways), and also that everyone should get some experience hunting by audio only because that actually can make you a better hunter when you use screen units.

I also believe Tesoro buzz has died down on the forums because of several things...nobody complains anymore about why that company won't come out with new products which was a big part of that buzz plus many did sell theirs when the company died but I don't know why since these things are built like tanks.
The rest of us are still out there using that company's products and are so busy finding treasure we just don't have a whole lot of time to post about them. (HA!)

That Vista does look interesting, also.

Last edited:

Ron from Michigan

Staff member
The Sovereign is probably one of the best detectors to search parks. The ID is primitive but deep, if you get a blip of a sound on this unit you can get a quick visual ID on a deep target.