Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ancient aegean/greek bronze coin

The Lost Ring

Hi,
Possibly pre-roman era B.C.
Yours truly,

Attachments

• 3C3BC247-C70C-42B6-A8B4-A8567C074AE1.jpeg
    3C3BC247-C70C-42B6-A8B4-A8567C074AE1.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 4509651F-1517-4AB3-9B29-E72E82FA4C8B.jpeg
    4509651F-1517-4AB3-9B29-E72E82FA4C8B.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 118
  • C25D2351-28E6-4AD8-BE45-B5778CC2F46B.jpeg
    C25D2351-28E6-4AD8-BE45-B5778CC2F46B.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 33CC5A87-814C-42F2-9A99-7F2874822C38.jpeg
    33CC5A87-814C-42F2-9A99-7F2874822C38.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 110
Thanks.
Better and clean coins was found in the area where I found this coin. they were all dated B.C..
I will try to clean this carefully and reveal the shapes.
Do not wash with water !! This "disease" of bronze is caused by humidity and chlorine salts. Surface brushing and if desired, bake for 30 'at 200 ° to stop moisture. Electrolysis will ruin the coin.
Now, I have a question. How do you know the date of the coin?

Do not wash with water !! This "disease" of bronze is caused by humidity and chlorine salts. Surface brushing and if desired, bake for 30 'at 200 ° to stop moisture. Electrolysis will ruin the coin.
Now, I have a question. How do you know the date of the coin?
First of all, Thank you very much for giving very valuable information.
There are ancient cities of Caria and Myndos in the region.
where i found this coin is near an ancient dock.
The dot marked on the coin with the number SNG vA 2114 in the link looks like the coin I found.
Of course this is just a guess. The coin is very damaged. My neighbor works as an archaeologist at the Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archeology. This is his prediction.

Attachments

• 95FAB37C-CC1C-42B9-A59F-99176CF2C0F0.jpeg
    95FAB37C-CC1C-42B9-A59F-99176CF2C0F0.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 102
  • B065E40B-2F87-4B23-8227-33E029B9170E.jpeg
    B065E40B-2F87-4B23-8227-33E029B9170E.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 97
I must apologize. The question I asked you was to try to catch the "impostors"
I know perfectly how to date an ancient coin, but since you commented that they were "dated" before Christ ... or at least that's what my translator tells me. That's why I thought you would be an impostor
So my sincere apologies.
As for the deterioration of the coin ... yes, it is what we commonly call bronze cancer. It is preferable to leave as is or at least stop the corrosion, rather than a bad cleaning and the details of the coin are lost forever.
Very good job and welcome to the forum. (y)

I must apologize. The question I asked you was to try to catch the "impostors"
I know perfectly how to date an ancient coin, but since you commented that they were "dated" before Christ ... or at least that's what my translator tells me. That's why I thought you would be an impostor
So my sincere apologies.
As for the deterioration of the coin ... yes, it is what we commonly call bronze cancer. It is preferable to leave as is or at least stop the corrosion, rather than a bad cleaning and the details of the coin are lost forever.
Very good job and welcome to the forum. (y)
Absolutely no problem.
Thanks.
And also sorry for my bad english

Nice job recovering and I.d.ing a bit of ancient history!
You never know do you Draco, most ebay finds are pristine condition. LOL
The problem is that he wrote that "they were dated before Christ" And we know that the earliest dates on ancient coins started roughly in medieval times. In this type of coin, the "dates" are known from the emperor, the city, battles or a historical event. There is no issue date. Or even, since there is no minting date, it can be known through isotopes or by stratigraphy.
Anyway, I have taken out Roman coins in perfect condition. The dry climate can preserve them very well
So my apologies again

Absolutely no problem.
Thanks.
And also sorry for my bad english
Draco, no need for anyone to apologize for their bad English when it is their second language. Just my opinion. Well maybe Americans might want to offer an apology to the citizens of the UK. I always wonder, in America we typically like the British accent. I wonder what the British think of our American accent.

Nice find, that beats my oldest coin from the 1600's. We consider 1600's ancient here in the US. :ROFLMAO:

The problem is that he wrote that "they were dated before Christ" And we know that the earliest dates on ancient coins started roughly in medieval times. In this type of coin, the "dates" are known from the emperor, the city, battles or a historical event. There is no issue date. Or even, since there is no minting date, it can be known through isotopes or by stratigraphy.
Anyway, I have taken out Roman coins in perfect condition. The dry climate can preserve them very well
So my apologies again

Draco, no need for anyone to apologize for their bad English when it is their second language. Just my opinion. Well maybe Americans might want to offer an apology to the citizens of the UK. I always wonder, in America we typically like the British accent. I wonder what the British think of our American accent.

Thank you so much for your kindness. It's a real pleasure for me to be on this forum.

As for the accent thing, I personally think American English is very cool.😁

I have had compliments from British women about my Midwestern appendicular !

Which one? :rofl: To me, it is a different accent depending on the area to where you go! I was raised in the MISSOURI OZARK HILLS & WE HAD a Hillbilly accent of our own plus a sort of Southern Drawl. I like the accent that the Austrailians have! Ma

Excerpts from an article today in Newsweek:
This made both bronze, comprised of 90 percent copper and 10 percent tin, and stone readily available as materials. The Ancient Sumerians in the Middle East were probably the first people to enter the Bronze Age and Crete is generally considered by historians to have been the center of the expansion of the bronze trade throughout Europe, BBC History says.

The arrival of the Bell Beaker folk to Britain, bring with them the ability to smelt metal, likely signaled the beginning of the Bronze Age for this region of the globe. The period marks the adoption in Britain of Wessex Culture.

I shared this on Facebook when I read this interesting part:
Milly Hardwick, a 13-year-old from Suffolk, England, was out metal-detecting with her father, when they stumbled upon an artifact which they joked could be an axe.

The object turned out to be exactly that, an axe head dating back to around 1300 BC. The pair soon uncovered a further 64 objects during their expedition, the BBC reported.

Undoubtedly, "[T]he Ancient Sumerians in the Middle East" would date back to Jesus meeting the woman at the well.
Below is a link that I will pursue in research about the woman at the well. I love that narrative about the woman at the well.
Aug 14, 2010 · The story of the woman at the well is one of the most well known in the Bible; many Christians can easily give a summary of it. On its surface, the story chronicles ethnic prejudice and a woman shunned by her community. But look deeper, and you'll realize it reveals a great deal about Jesus' character. Above all, the story, which unfolds in John 4:1-40, suggests that Jesus is a loving and …" Ante.

Respectfully, I went to the link you provided, and it states no thumbnails.
Your link above stated 'with thumbnails'.

Thanks for posting. I am sure I will visit that page periodically and learn from it.

Leatherneck

Semper fidelis