Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Andrew- some questions about iFinder and cards...

Nevada Gary

The info on the iFinder does not say specifically that it has a removeable MMC/SD card, but I see there is a MapCreate USA Topo kit that is avail and
Includes MMC card, MMC card reader/programmer and MapCreate Topo CD-ROM. For Windows 98 or higher operating system.

I also read that you must have this specific reader for any of the maps that load thru cards. Is this correct?

And is there any way to load any of the maps without the reader and "special" cards coded for your machine? (Are the maps avail on CD and could I use my own cards to upload? or do they just load to the card that it comes with(assuming there is one packaged with it-- and if so is the cable supplied?)

Which maps would be good for places like the gold country in the Sierras and Rye Patch in northern Nevada? I'd like to be able to set the corners of a section and put alarms on lines connecting them (seems like I've read that it might be possible) They sell Freedom Maps and Mapcreate USA Topo for the unit.
Or- do the mapping products you sell do this or are they just for PDAs- I found that a bit confusing since it seemed to be for PDAs.

There should be more info in the product info list!!
Thanks-appreciate an answer soon --Gary

Maps have to be on the cards. No other way.

You can use pre-loaded (Freedom maps) maps from Lowrance or load the maps on the cards from MapCreate software on CDs.

To load MapCreate 6.3 maps on the cards, you do have to use Lowrance card reader.

You can use virtually any standard SD and MMC cards. You can buy them much cheaper from a camera / computer store than from Lowrance.

MapCreate Topo USA is the one you want.

Thanks a lot Andrew.
Leaning toward the iFinder, not sure if one of the other brands would be better for fairly basic mapping and overlay of points that I can enter. Color is nice, but prob not necessary.

You wrote:
"Many waypoints can be stored in receiver

AFAIK, iFinder does not have this function. It can set one waypoint as target and it will let you know when you get close to that waypoint but, you can not set it to watch out for several waypoints at once. The function you are looking for is often called "Proximity alarm" and some receivers do have it but, I'm not sure which of the current ones do.
With the iFinder: you can draw a track (use TTQV or Ozi for that), load it to the receiver, assign to that track a unique line format that is different from other lines displayed on the map screen and than just watch the map screen if you pass that track line but, no alarm.

A square track line would make a section, I guess...now whether or not it would alarm when getting close to the lines...or just the four corner points? Do you see what I need/want? Is it achievable? I don't want to stray into a a section that is a claim.

thanks- Gary

No alarm for lines. No alarm for 4 points. Not with the iFinder anyway. You watch the screen and your eyes will alarm you when you get close to the line / section border.

This is my first iFinder, so I can only relate to this one. I purchased the basic model, and I was not aware it could accept MMC/SDC memory cards. They could have made it a little clearer, and I would have purchased the