Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anfibio and bottle caps

Big Treble

Any one figure out a solution to resist digging these steel crown caps?

Last weekend ran into a corner of a fairground where there were quite a few of these 3-4 inches down. And most were hitting a solid 4 way 88, which is where the quarter shows up in 5Khz.

Combined with the depth meter challenge, it makes it a struggle looking for deeper silver.

Try a concentric coil, maybe the answer for you. Looking back at my finds pictures, bottle cap finds are few, compared to all the trash I dig up. Those I did find were 50/50 ratio of pry off caps and screw on caps.

Will try that, did find a screw off aluminum, but I was thinking it was a more discernible signal. While my pry off caps were popping like quarters.

Might try different modes next time I feel I'm over one

I've got the MK, but it's basically the same machine. I find that the bottlecaps that ring up 88, often sound a bit different, instead of a round tone, they can ziip/zing a bit like they do at 74-75. So far, when the Kruzer tells me 88, 90% of the time it's a quarter, 7% a ring and 3% a bottlecap.

I really haven't dug as many bottle caps that mask as quarters, as my last machine. However, recently I've been digging some deep faint semi repeatable 82-88 signals. The targets have all been around 11 inches down and 50% of the time they've been coins and the other times an old flattened screwtop/bottlecap. Seems like when the ground has more moisture, I find a few more caps too.

Try Sven's advice. Last summer I hunted almost exclusively with concentric coils and it cut down on my bottle cap finds by about 75%. I still found a few but the difference was dramatic. I was hunting a place that was littered with old rusty caps as if a huge beer party had been thrown decades ago. It made hunting with a DD coil really difficult and frustrating. A small concentric coil made it fun to hunt there again and allowed me to find many silver coins hidden in the trash. Normally I prefer DD coils but in this particular area, a DD was a disadvantage.

Yes there are ways to know if you are dealing with a bottle cap with a DD coil but it has never been 100% full proof for me when working with a DD coil regardless of which detector I was using. Concentric coils tend to ignore them or at least most of them.

Thanks guys, I guess I take it for granted the last 3 machines I used heavily, (2 still do) were very efficient in avoiding them. They made me soft. Lol

One other tip. Pinpoint to dead center of the target. Bob the coil straight up and down over it. If it's a coin you'll still get high VDI numbers. Bottle caps will drop way down near or even into iron. This works on shallower targets. When they get deep all bets are off. Throw down a coin and a bottle cap and give it a try.

Coins do the same thing when you lift the coil, they all change numbers. I tried it with a half dollar and steel cap.

blazer35 said:
Coins do the same thing when you lift the coil, they all change numbers. I tried it with a half dollar and steel cap.

That tip does work, just not with a DD coil.