Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anfibio frequency question

Treasurechic

Would 5khz get the best depth for copper and brass as well as silver? Or is 14khz the way to go? From what I understand 20khz is the best for trashy sites. I'm going to a site that iv found some great artifacts and coins at but now it seems if anything is left it's going to be deep. This will be my first time using the Anfibio. I watched alot of videos and read every page of the manual but practice makes perfect. Any help would be appreciated.

I can only offer some of the same info you’ve found through reading and some of my own trial an error. Aside from a Fisher cz6, the Anfibio is the first multi frequency I’ve owned. I like how it can run separate frequencies letting the user know some of the differences between them.
5khz is hotter on high conductors... i haven’t noticed that it actually punches any deeper down or hits high conductors when other frequencies (on the Anfibio) won’t. What it does is sound better on high conductors and ignore more of the low conductive trash. It is a less sensitive mode in some respects. The low frequency is usually best used in cache mode as (from my understanding) it is less sensitive to tiny junk and sounds off better on the big stuff and high conductors.
Personally, after playing around with the different frequencies, I’ve settled with the 14khz for almost all detecting.
If I could offer any advise, I would suggest
14khz. It maintains sensitivity without being overly sensitive to small junk I don’t want to dig like the 20khz can be, and it picks up high (and low) conductors at depth without sacrificing sensitivity to small targets.
If I could make suggestions for setting the detector, I’d say;
14khz
either 2 or 4 tone mode
Disc 3
Gain as high as you are comfortable with. If the ground conditions are not too severe, after groundbalancing set the ground balance negative 5-10 #’s. This makes the machine do less compensating for ground minerals, it seems to help make it a little sparkier/ sensitive and sound off on targets one might miss otherwise.
Also, if you can turn the isat down to 0, it adds some detection depth.
Now, after doing all this stuff one problem I’ve had is getting faint, ghost signals. I’ve found turning 90degrees and rechecking the target to see if it is repeatable will tell me if it is a dig signal.

Thank you for the advice!

While there are, or can be, some differences in performance between different operating frequencies, you have to consider the following:

• Challenges from the particular site ground mineral make-up.
• Typical size and metal alloy type of the intended targets you're after.
• Amount of, and relationship of, any trash at the site you'll be hunting.
• Consider if most of the trash is ferrous or non-ferrous.
• Search coil size and type.
• Circuitry design and operating behavior of the particular make and model detector being used.

Personally, most of my current detector outfit keep a smaller-size coil mounted because most of my detecting is in very densely littered sites, most of them heavily ferrous-base debris, and I am working close to metal structures, building rubble, or in and around sagebrush and dense weeds, trees and snaggy brush, or in amongst rocky areas. That said, I also have some mid-size to larger-size coils on a few detectors or wide-open grassy parks, plowed fields, or outer 'fringe' areas of homesteads, ghost towns, etc. I selected the coils that I felt worked the best on the different models and what I use them for, and in many cases their operating frequency also was taken into consideration.

Looking at my current Detector Outfit on the wall here in my den I own single-frequency models or some selectable frequency models, and down-the-line, left-to-right, their operating frequencies are:

15 kHz .. 19 kHz .. 14.4 kHz .. 10 kHz .. 13 kHz .. 14 kHz .. 12 kHz .. 7.7 kHz .. 10 kHz .. 7.8 kHz .. 10 kHz .. 10 kHz .. 6.59 kHz .. 19 kHz

And for reference, these are using the following coils:
±5" DD .. 5" DD .. 5X9½ DD .. 6" Con. .. 5" DD .... 7" Con. . 11" DD ... 9" DD .... 6" Con. . 7" Con. .. 6" Con. .. 6" Con. .. 6½" Con. .. 5" DD

When noted design engineer George Payne and others started Discovery Electronics and brought out the Treasure Barron and associated models in the early '90s, he explained in a write-up why he settled on the 12.5 kHz operating frequency. It was because it was an ideal choice for Coin Hunting and general detecting to be very functional for lower, mid and higher conductive coins and jewelry. In the late '70s I was using 15 kHz more than the popular models in the 4+ kHz, 5 and 5.5 kHz and 6.59 kHz range. About 10 years before George's write-up and the coming of the Discovery Treasure baron, I started using and relying on the Inca and several other models from Tesoro. Jack Gifford had selected 10 kHz to 12 kHz, and one model at 15 kHz, as the best all-around operating frequency for their general-purpose line and I used to use several in that 10 kHz to 15 kHz operating frequency range ... and still do.

Note the fourteen detector model frequencies I listed above. Ten of those fourteen models are operating from 10 kHz to 15 kHz and only four are working at frequencies below or above that range. There was a very good reason why Nokta / Makro decided to have the Impact, Multi-Kruzer and Anfibio Multi turn-on at the default 14 kHz frequency. On all three of those models I used the default 14 kHz easily 90%-95% of the time. I seldom used the 5 kHz, but did, on occasion, opt for the 19 kHz or 20 kHz higher frequency in a few iron trash infested old sites. Nokta / Makro made a good choice, in my opinion, on the 12 kHz frequency selection for their new Simplex +. It's right there in that very versatile 10 to 15 kHz range.

As you put in search time with the Anfibio I recommend you do it mostly at 14 kHz. You'll enjoy exceptional all-purpose performance. Then, when you are very comfortable with how the Anfibio operates, you can take advantage of the quick-and-easy frequency selection on that model to check some located targets, or just re-hunt a gridded area at a different frequency. That will let you see if there is any benefit to you by using a non-default option.

Something to think about while learning and enjoying the Anfibio.

Monte

Thank you Monte! Too bad we just got a foot of snow in NH. I really was hoping to get more time in with the Anfibio. Guess I'll do my usual trip to the beach when the temperature is above freezing. I guess I'm lucky that I live somewhere where the beach is a winter option.

Fortunate, that is, to live close to some detecting areas to help you make it through the winter's snow-covered ground. Where I live here in far eastern Oregon we can get snow, but usually not that much, and we can get cold, and that's what usually keeps us indoors. We had 2" of snow about a month ago, but it was gone by late afternoon's warm-up. We had a cold spell in early October that hampered some detecting, and again in early November. Ten it moderated a little until a snow storm on December 1st that hit about 4 AM and by 8:30 AM I was out shoveling 5" of snow from the driveway and sidewalk. It kept snowing and increased. We had another 4" to 5" before dark that day that needed to be shoveled as the storm passed.

Today, the 6th, there is a little snow remaining between all the exposed grass in the yards and city park, and the rain arriving this evening through the morning of the 8th should wipe that out. So I'll get some detecting time in next week before winter returns, and a loot ahead has the rest of December and January and a chunk of February being cold to very cold and some periods of snow or ice before winter's over.

I most ways I do not miss moving away from the greater Portland Oregon metro are six years ago. There in NW Oregon any snow only lasts briefly and isn't very frequent. But the rain is almost more irritating that the density of people. No close ghost towns or other places I enjoy hunting, but the only good thing I can think back on is that while there will be some cold stormy weather days now and then, there are a LOT of places to get out and do some Coin & Jewelry Hunting. And since there are no long stretches of snow or super cold days, you can easily get out detecting 12 months of the year. Maybe not every day, but certainly a lot during each month.

I hope your winter weather is comfortable enough and not blustery when you hit the beach.

Monte

Would 5khz get the best depth for copper and brass as well as silver? Or is 14khz the way to go? From what I understand 20khz is the best for trashy sites. I'm going to a site that iv found some great artifacts and coins at but now it seems if anything is left it's going to be deep. This will be my first time using the Anfibio. I watched alot of videos and read every page of the manual but practice makes perfect. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm Right there with you, which khz is best? I'd be concerned for battery life and can it depend on coil size? Setting's? Lots to consider I think, but as they say, the more you play with it, the more you can learn?