Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anfibio Multi working a 1715 Spanish Treasure Fleet Shipwreck Beach

Today I had the —Great Pleasure— of working the salt beach in front of the famous “Cabin Wreck” or “Capitana” of the 1715 Spanish Plate Fleet...at my hometown of Sebastian, Florida! We had a strong SE wind for a couple days, that removed about half the overburden of loose sand in this area. I always stand in reverence in front of that Spanish Galleon... so close offshore in only 15-20 feet of water. The likes of the late great Kip Wagner who first discovered this Lost Fleet of 13 galleons (with a couple still missing). Kip was a stone mason here in Sebastian, and in his days off (often when raining) he would wander these lonely, desolate beaches back in the mid-60s. A fellow he worked with told of going to this piece of beach and finding all these strange black pieces of metal. Often almost square in shape, so he never thought these could be old, very old, 250 year old Spanish Silver Coins! The stuff every young boy dreams of finding... The Famous Pirate Treasure... The Spanish “Piece of Eight!” Correctly these coins, when minted in the regular, large denomination are 8 Reales “(RAY-ALL-ACE).”

Also working this Spanish Treasure Fleet was the man known as “The World’s Greatest Treasure Hunter”... Mel Fisher. Mel of course is most known for his 17 year search for the Spanish Galleon Atocha off the Eastern end of the Florida Keys...that cost him the lives of family and crew when one of his salvage ships capsized.

I had the great pleasure of calling Mel my friend. He was the only person ever allowed to smoke a cigarette in my home in twenty years! Funny the things we remember? I did projects with Mel down in Uruguay and other areas of Florida besides working the 1715 Fleet, that still has hundreds of millions in treasure prospects! Coins regularly wash in to the beaches up and down “The Treasure Coast,” as this area is now officially known. The wrecks reach from Sebastian Inlet down just past Ft. Pierce Inlet. Over thirty miles to hide treasure! Mel came off as an old “Happy go Lucky” chicken farmer from Indiana...he was anything but that. A highly intelligent man who got things done....there was —always— a solution.

So standing in front of Kip’s original cabin and looking out to sea is and always will be a great treat for me. I moved my young family from the snow of Wisconsin in 1987, just to be here! And what a beautiful unspoiled area Indian River County still is. I was blessed. Anybody can detect there, public beach access is less than a mile away... Most of the 1715 wrecksites just by luck...have public beach access. The walk is getting tough for me now...as I am legally handicapped and have damaged nerves in my feet and lower legs. Maybe it will be time soon for someone else to take up this torch! Come to Sebastian with a kind heart and I will take you there.

But wait! This is about the ANFIBIO MULTI in these conditions. And I am proud to say... I was very impressed. I knew that with such a powerful detector, that before reaching the wet, salt sand...I had better be locked and loaded in BEACH MODE. The machine came close to “purring like a kitten.” I knew I did not have to try to press the highest gain out of her...because I had replaced my sweet, everyday 9” Concentric Coil...(The Iron Buster!) with the huge KR-40 Coil, 15”x14”. I ran 5 KHZ, gain @ 70-75. (Discrim automatically sets to 15 in beach mode). I backed her down to 8. I like to keep a STABLE SIGNAL by scrubbing the coil shoe on the hardpacked firm sand. You of course most importantly relieve easily half the stress and strain of the weight, but also trying to hold a big coil like this up in the air, especially with a strong wind blowing. The bonus is stready, even readings, with your best depth possible! As you shoe gradually wears down, I use the liquid spray rubber in a commercial “rattle can”. I do the same whenever possible on a lawn area, by “scrubbing” the grass by sliding the coil along, maintaining control by bearing up about half the weight.

All in all I worked my way down to right in front of “The Capitana’s” final resting place. I smiled as I stopped and looked out to sea just a little farther before heading home.. For here in just 30 feet deep of water was a pair of cannon that to this day...now over 300 years later...guard the main ballast stone pile from the inside of the lower hull. A huge, huge pile of smooth river rock, about the size of basketballs, some a little smaller, some much bigger...that Spaniards dragged in horse & wagon from the river down to the ship, and up the gang plank in wheelbarrows and then down into the hull. Now that was some kinda work!

To sum this report up... the ANFIBIO MULTI worked extremely well on the salt ocean beach. “Ubilla” the Admiral of the Fleet was not ready to give up any of her treasure today. But thinking back decades ago, when I recovered my first Spanish “Piece of Eight” from this exact same site (but in the water, 15’ down) was truly beyond words. I hope you found this report both helpful, informative, and most of all entertaining.

God Bless You with a Happy, Healthy New Year.

Very interesting reading. Enjoyed the article. Wish my location was closer. Would love to drive down & see that area.

I live down the road from you I've detected that area a bunch of times but I think the weather was not cooperating. God bless you my friend and have a Happy New Year

Enjoyed reading your write-up, what a great time!

I'd love to come visit one of these days, I've longed to spend a week or two detecting the infamous treasure beaches! I know the odds of finding anything Spanish are almost zilch, but still, it would be a fantastic experience.

HH,
Cal

RIGHT NOW, RIGHT NOW CAL....IS THE TIME TO BE HERE!!! BIG CUTS FIVE FEET HIGH AND ALL THAT SAND TAKEN OUT TO SEA! THINK OF THE NUMBER OF CUBIC YARDS. WORKING THESE SPANISH WRECK SITES ON THE BEACH IS SIMPLY A MATTER OF PATIENCE AND TIMING. I MOVED MY FAMILY DOWN HERE 30 YEARS AGO, JUST TO BE HERE BY THESE GALLEON SITES AND SO MUCH MORE. BUT RIGHT NOW... JAN. 30TH 2019 IS A VERY GOOD TIME AND REPORTS ARE STARTING TO COME IN OF SPANISH GOODS WASHING IN UNDER THE SAND.

STRAIGHT THROUGH DRIVE CAL??? WHAT IF YOU HIT A SPANISH 8 ESCUDO GOLD COIN... IT WILL BE BRAND NEW. CONDITION WILL PROBABLY BE MINT, AS IT HAS HAD A HIDING PLACE FOR THE LAST 300 YEARS. BUT THE WAVES AND TIDES AND FLOWING WATER PULLED THEM OUT JUST RIGHT. GET HER GRADED OVER IN SARASOTA AT NGC, AND PUT IT UP FOR AUCTION. TIME TO PAY BACK ALL THESE DETECTOR EXPENSES, FUEL, RESEARCH, ETC. I WOULD GUESS A CHECK EVEN WITH THE AUCTIONEERS CUT WOULD STILL PAY OFF THE BILLS. WITH A NET CHECK OF $18,000 - TO $22,000. MAYBE MORE, BUT I LIKE TO KEEP THINGS REALISTIC. NOW A MORE RARE VERSION OF AN ESCUDO,,, COULD BRING FOR MORE TO A COLLECTOR WAITING FOR YOU.

JUST EVERYBODY HERE KNOW THIS TRICK PLAYED ON THE UNSUSPECTING. YOU WANT TO SELL YOUR COIN AND THE WORD GOES AROUND FAST. A FELLOW NAMED 'HOISH" WANTS IT. BUT HE TELLS YOU THAT HE MUST TAKE IT TO HIS EXPERT GRADER, OVER IN ORLANDO AND YOU GET THE COIN BACK ALRIGHT...BUT HE DID A SWITCH ON YOU. IT LOOKS IDENTICAL BUT IS A COPY MADE COIN. NEVER LEAVE THE COIN OUT OF YOUR SIGHT!

HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN WITH A BUDDY OF MINE DOWN IN HONDURAS. HE WENT TO BUY $100 WORTH OF LIMPERA'S THE LOCAL CURRENCY, BETTER DEAL THAT AT A BANK. BUT THE GUY GOES...OH SO SORRY, AFTER BEING GONE FOR 10 MINUTES WITH THE $100 BILL., "
"I JUST CAN'T COME UP WITH $100 IN LIMPERA'S RIGHT NOW ON NO NOTICE OR SHORT NOTICE." HE IS TOLD. SO HE IS HANDED HIS BEN BACK AND HEADS OVER TO THE LOCAL BANK THE NEXT DAY. TELLER TAKES ONE GOOD LOOK AND PRESSES THE BUTTON THAT EVERY TELLER HAS. OVER COMES THE MANAGER ALONG WITH THE GUARD, HAND ON HIS PISTOLA.. "TIENE UNA PROBLAMA?" "WHAT IS THE PROBLEM MY FRIEND ASKS? THE BANK MANAGER DRAWS NEAR MY FRIEND AND SHOWS HIM THE LACK OF A WATERMARK RUNNING THROUGH THE PAPER. THAT $100 BILL IS NOW ZERO, BECAUSE THE BANK CANNOT BY LAW, HAND OUT COUNTERFEIT MONEY, EVEN TO YOU IF IT IS YOURS. LET'S JUST SAY HE WAS VERY LUCKY AND FOUND THE SCUMBAG THAT CHEATED HIM. HE DENIED EVERYTHING THAT MY FRIEND'S BILL WAS GOOD AND TAKEN TO THE BANK. SURE IT WAS...THE 1ST ONE!!! NOT THE ONE HE GAVE BACK TO HIM WHEN HE SAID HE DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH LIMPERA TO MAKE CHANGE. THE GUY WAS SMALL AND SO WAS MY FRIEND, BUT WE BOTH HAD THE SAME EMPLOYER MANY YEARS AGO. THEY TEACH YOU THINGS ABOUT PERSUADING INDIVIDUALS TO MAYBE SEE THINGS YOUR WAY. HE ONE IN A MILLION GOT HIS $100 BACK, EVEN THE SAME ORIGINAL BILL. LESSON LEARNED, NO QUICK SWITCH-OUT. STAY ON THEM LIKE STINK ON FISH GUTS. ONLY WHEN THE CASH IS COUNTED AND READY TO EXCHANGE TO YOU ALLOW THE BILL TO LEAVE YOUR HAND!

Great write up, I thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife and I made motorhome trip from Hollister, California about 4 years ago and stayed at an RV park in Fort Pierce. We did a little detecting but I was ill prepared knowledge wise for hunting the Treasure Coast plus most of the beaches were sanded in and the no see um bugs about did my wife in. Maybe I can make one more trip while I'm still kicking (just turned 79).

Thanks again for the write up.

El

Fascinating account of your hunting area. Just imagine life when these ships were contemporary. One part that sticks with me is the cannons, surrounded by rocks. How would you like to be one of those who placed those rocks? My guess is that was their final job!

You have already accomplished what most of us only dream of.