Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anfibio weight............

James/Washington

OK, I am now 69 years young and not near as strong as I was when I started detecting back in 1971. Now that I have the Anfibio, I am really liking it. Except for one thing. It is too heavy for me to be able to use for over an hour. It just pulls me down. I am looking for ways to lighten it up so I can use it for longer periods of time. Can anyone tell me what what is the weight of the Waterproof Concentric Search Coil - 23 cm / 9" (AF23C) vs the stock 11" AF28 coil? Something I did in trying to get the weight down was experimenting with removing the control box from the Anfibio and temporarily taping it to my Deus rod and it really did feel nice. However, there is no way for me to actually fit the two together. I tried contacting a couple of 3rd party manufacturers of detector add-ons and have not heard back. I truly believe that if an adapter was made to attach the Andibio/MMK to a lighter rod, like the XP Deus full telescopic pole, or other straight shafts that it would sell to guys like me that need a bit lighter detector so they could stay in the field a little longer. Any suggestions to lighten the Anfibio? I love it but can not take the weight for any length of time.

The Amfibio will fit on the Kruzer rod system ..Just remove the screw from the housing and attach it to the Kruzer

KindManTall said:
The Amfibio will fit on the Kruzer rod system ..Just remove the screw from the housing and attach it to the Kruzer

I owned a Multi Kruzer and even that rod is a bit heavier than what I would like. Yes, I know the screw comes out and the housing can be removed. What I am trying to find is someone, using a 3d printer, that can take the Anfibio/Kruzer mount and the Deus mount and make an adapter so I and others could mount the Anfibio control housing on a Deus, or other straight carbon fiber rod. As I said in my original post, I have contacted two businesses that make aftermarket gadgets for metal detectors and have not heard a word. Looking for some way to cut the weight. There have been a lot of detectors that have been made lighter with carbon fiber shafts and I believe there would be a market for a shaft for the Anfibio/Kruzer. Just hoping someone might chime in with some help and can point me in that direction. Or maybe someone could see a profit in making one of these adapters or even a carbon shaft for the Anfibio..

Maybe so old existing shaft, like maybe it would sit on an old 1280 or cz-20 shaft with some slight modifications. Straight shafts and they are not too heavy.

RichW said:
Maybe so old existing shaft, like maybe it would sit on an old 1280 or cz-20 shaft with some slight modifications. Straight shafts and they are not too heavy.

This is what I had in mind, but the mounting bracket on the Anfibio/Kruzer is unique(but I like it) and I tried to figure out a way to make some sort of adapter and just could not get it done. I think that someone that is good with a 3d printer could easily figure a design for a bracket that could mount on an older s rod, the Deus rod or a straight shaft and this is my hope.

James, like you I am 69 and will turn 70 in May. Started detecting in March of 1965. I've been dealing with a number of getting-old health issues, and that's been compounded by a bad spine [size=small](top-to-tail)[/size] and four specific injuries that have combined to make life miserable and really cut in on my detecting enjoyment. I'm not supposed to lift more than 5 to 10 pounds, and the neurosurgeon said the top limit is 8 pounds, and even that can be a struggle which is basically a gallon of milk.

Over the past dozen years I have had to periodically trim my personal detector outfit and go to lighter weight and more comfortable detectors. I can handle the Anfibio Multi, but with the 11" DD it is for much shorter durations that I would care to admit. I have found the round 7" Concentric coil to be just about the perfect match to provide me with in-the-field performance yet be more comfortable, controllable and well balanced. I go to the 5" DD in the densest debris sites.

My suggestions would be to make sure you are not extending the search coil way out in front of you, and don't be making big, broad sweeps from side-to-side. Work the coil maybe 12" to 18" in front of your leading foot, and I suggest limiting the side-to-side sweep distance to about 24" to maybe 30" or at the most 36". to 40", maximum, in very open areas. Running with broad sweeps and long rod extensions is one of the bad moves folks make that adds to the front-end / nose-heavy feel. It also induces faster sweep speeds and that can also be fatiguing, not to mention diminishing performance afield. I use the7" Concentric 90% of the time on the Anfibio and that helps make it more comfortable.

To be sure, I / we can't hang in there for very long with heavier, or poorly balanced, detectors like we got to enjoy way back in those earlier days. If you took the system box off the Anfibio you should have noticed it felt lighter, and if you had the 7" Concentric it would really be apparent. Unfortunately, with progress comes change and, in the case of the Multi-Kruzer or the Anfibio series, everything is crammed in the control system box, including the Lithium battery. And to make them waterproof to the depth they are good for, it requires a thicker [size=small](thus heavier)[/size] plastic housing material. And since all of that is perched atop the handgrip, it can give it a somewhat heavier feel and balance.

I have hunting buddies who have checked out the Anfibio Multi and they have all been very impressed and, with any coil mounted, they say it is well balanced and not too heavy or awkward. They are all 16 to 32 years younger than me, too, and in much healthier and stronger condition and don't notice things like I do. Weight is one thing but balance can sure make a difference. I have been trimming my entire Regular-Use Detector Outfit the past several months, letting go a lot of competitor's detecto9rs that were too heavy or too awkward and tiresome. My Anfibio Multi might be about the heaviest model I have left [size=small](other than some older models I have on-hand for use in seminars I do)[/size] but with a proper rod length and using the 7" Coil I can still get along okay for a while.

The bulk of my hunting is in very dense iron contaminated places and the best detector I own for taking on those tough challenges are the Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic. Hanging on the end of a measuring scale with either their smallest coil or the 5X9½ open-frame DD coils, they might appear to be heavy. However, they have one of the absolute best balanced physical designs, and as impaired as my mobility is, in the first several days of last week I put in reasonably long hunt-times, for me, because they are so well-balanced.

Maybe check how you're using it and, if you can, try the7" Concentric coil to see how that might help you out.

Monte

Thanks for your great reply, Monte. All good advice. However, it was in 2006 that I had back surgery for a bad disc between L4 and L5. That fixed the tingling in my legs but the pain in my back remains and I still have 3 ruptured discs and Doc says I must be careful and, like you severely restrict the weight I lift. Both hips are not good, but I am getting by. I have had 14 broken bones in my feet, and a shattered heal on my left foot. diabetes, diabetic neuropathy, diabetic retinopathy and high blood pressure. Other than that, I am doing well for a 69 year old. I have already adapted the detecting methods you recommend and when I had the MMK, I did purchase the 7" coil and it did indeed help with the weight, I am planning on getting another 7" or the 9" concentric for the Anfibio. However, I believe the weight of the detector can be reduced even further by using a lighter shaft. I am not saying the Anfibio or the MMK shaft is bad. They are both built like a tank, and that adds weight. As I mentioned in my original post, I took the Anfibio control box and temporarily fastened it to my Deus shaft and I really did like the feel. I am looking for some help from someone with a 3d printer that can design a mounting bracket that would adapt the Anfibio (or an MMK)to the Deus shaft. If we could get that produced, it would totally end the weight issue. There is a gentleman that is making some 3d printed accessories for metal detectors but I can not get him to return my messages and a company that makes straight shafts that I have also emailed and they too have not responded to my emails. I will not mention the names of the companies, but I think most will know the names. I think I have an idea that they can make some money off of but getting hold of them seems fruitless. Or if there is already a straight shaft that would fit the Anfibio already out there. Looking for suggestions. I KNOW we can find an answer. Someone out there has the solution.

Maybe look at a Pro-Swing 45 harness. Will make any detector feel super light.

I have given the Pro Swing some thought but want to try a lighter coil and shaft first. Thanks for the post. I will take all into consideration.

James...this may sound counter-intuitive...but when I installed the Nokta External Battery Pack the machine (Anfibio Multi) felt wonderful to me. At least like the added weight was not even there. And its wonderful to never, ever worry about your batteries going dead. I use a rechargeable pack in the EBP as well. Might I suggest taping some temporary weight matching the EBP up near the shaft end. See if possibly -better balance- corrects for the weight issue. Have mercy for me when I use my Minelab GPZ 7000 with the 19" coil, the weight is 11.4 pounds! But I'm just a spring chicken at 63...hee hee. Good Luck with your project. You are a good sport to continue with metal detecting in spite of all your health issues. God Bless.

I see you have 2 machines listed that you own James. Is that other machine not working out for you. They don't get much lighter than that one.

James,

Counter-balancing, as Jack Barlow said, is thing that could POSSIBLY help. While it is somewhat counter-intuitive that adding weight can actually make a shaft feel "lighter," or at least more "ergonomically comfortable," that can be the case -- especially if a detector is "nose-heavy" in a very pronounced way.

I have examined the Anfibio in pictures (I don't own one), and the way it is designed, it looks like it would be tough, to me, to create an "aftermarket" carbon-fiber shaft to lighten the load. It looks like, from the pictures, the shaft system used is not round, but instead either rectangular or possibly triangular (hard to tell for sure, from the pictures). I would love to be able to help you out with this, but I don't see an easy way to do so, when not working with round tubes. Again, from what I can tell from just pictures, it looks like the unit is designed like a tank -- which is good in one sense, but also probably not especially light. I just can't see an easy way to create an aftermarket solution for this particular machine, offhand.

If anyone who owns one, can see a way that one could install that "upper section" (the part that includes the handle/control box, arm cuff, and presumably battery compartment) onto a proper-diameter ROUND tube, then I would be willing to try to help you out...

THANKS!

Steve

Really can not see how you could make it lighter .. The Kurzer is lower rod is feather light ... Carbon fiber ?

Anfibio Multi is Total Weight : 3.7 lbs (1.7 kgs)
Multi Kruzer is Total Weight : 3 lbs (1.4 kgs)

sgoss66 said:
KindManTall --

So, are you saying that the Anfibio control box/handle, etc., CAN be mounted on a round shaft?

Steve

Someone with a 3d printer certainly could design a mount that used the Anfibio bracket and whatever bracket to fit a straight, round rod. As far as I know, there is nothing existing out there right now to accomplish that. I believe that someone could profit from designing and producing this bracket.

RichW said:
I see you have 2 machines listed that you own James. Is that other machine not working out for you. They don't get much lighter than that one.

I will never give up my Deus but I also like the Anfibio. I live near the Gulf of Mexico and venture there ever so often. I will not take the Deus in the water, but the Anfibio is perfectly at home there. Another thing, believe it or not, you can hunt a property until you think it is hunted out and than take a different detector to that same property and pull more targets. Why, I do not know, but you will. Also, everyone needs a good backup detector and needs to know how to use it.

James,

Without an Anfibio in hand, there'd be no way I could design a mount. BUT -- if such a mount were produced, allowing it to fit on a round shaft, I would be happy to look into the possibility of helping you out, if you so desired, with the "shaft" part of the equation -- i.e. a carbon-fiber setup that would reduce the weight...

Steve

sgoss66 said:
James,

Without an Anfibio in hand, there'd be no way I could design a mount. BUT -- if such a mount were produced, allowing it to fit on a round shaft, I would be happy to look into the possibility of helping you out, if you so desired, with the "shaft" part of the equation -- i.e. a carbon-fiber setup that would reduce the weight...

Steve

Thanks. I am working on something that I think might work. If it does, I will get a pic of the completed bracket.

I'm 83 and don't have a problem with my Anfibio weight, I sit down after a while and rest then do it again, but I'm in good shape for my age, I do try to stay fit buy excersizing and the biggest problem i have is getting up and down so I practice that at home, also I use smaller coils on my 800 and Anfibio

For weight control, just get a harness. Easy as pie. I have the orig. with the bungee cord, works great on those vintage elephants. And it will rig up on the Impact and Anfibio.
Google Detecting Buddy