Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another DeLeon story

BarberBill

Went to a park I've hunted often this evening. Swinging the DeLeon with the stock coil, disc above iron, sens at 8. Covered a lot of ground for just a nickle and a few pennies. I always detect my way back to my vehicle before shutting down. A few yards before I got to that point, I got the hit that we all recognize is 99.5% a sure goodie. Just a little over an inch deep,I retrieved a presidental dollar. Rechecking the area I got another good hit and within 12 inches of the first one, I got a Sacajawea dollar at shallow depth. That's one of the things I love about this hobby. Sometimes when you think you've just spun your wheels, you make a find or two that turns the hunt around. Any detector should have found the two coins, and I didn't even look at the display as the tone was so good, but I was carrying the D because I just find it a lot of fun to use and the TID is helpful in parks and other well kept grass.
BB

They sound like 2 great finds...always nice to find goodies with a detector that you really like, even if most other detectors would have found them.:)

I had about the same thing happen only it was quarters(3) and it was with my new Cibola. Always pays to detect back to your parking area.:tesoro:

Cool story

Nice job BB,

I seem to find good targets right at the beginning of a hunt and when I am detecting my way back to the vehicle at the end of a hunt.

perseverance pays off sometimes.

Good story ! Yes, I too always detect back to near my vehicle.
Might as well as you are carrying your detector anyway.
Glad you came up with something good !

Well I'm glad that the Deleon works for you there, but up in my area Washington/Oregon the Deleon as a target ID mchine is ..........useless!!! Our mineral is too much for a fixed ground balance machine.In many areas it won't detect or target id a coin at two inches.I owned one for about 2 weeks before I got rid of it. We need a Deleon with a manual or "real" auto trac ground balance system. Or how about putting a target ID on to the LOBO??? But I'm worried that Tesoro does't have the technology smarts/ and or money to acomplish these feats................they are stuck in the 70's....(beep and dig preset ground balance era).

I'm lucky because the Deleon is perfectly group balanced for my soil. I dig dimes at 9" all the time. That's it though. I've dug silver at 10” but that was with the Tejon. Still, I prefer the Deleon as I love the ease of use and the depth is good enough for me.

Good story Bill. Thanks for posting it.
I have owned quite a few different machines, and of them all I enjoy and trust my Deleon the most.
Of the machines I currently own, it is by FAR the deepest. I will not leave home without it.

Auto correct doesn't understand metal detecting I guess. I meant to say ground balance not "group" balance. :super:

Great find Bill. A bunch of us headed out to a park/campsite area for a days dig. My brother in law was held up getting his equipment together while we all 'raced' to the park area for the best spots. Seeing it pointless to hurry, he turns his machine on just out from the car, starts making his way to us, and 15' from the car.. . ...pops a 20 franc gold coin. Big lesson for the rest of us. . .!!!!!: surprised:

Ivan: Tesoro did have a model that had TID with manual ground balance and a ton of other goodies (notch for one) in the 80's . . ..Toltec 100 and it's follow up Toltec 2. While I use my Vaq predminantly, I still have and use my original Toltec 100, and am surprized at how deep and often I still find things with it. .. .plus, it's fun testing the TID for accuracy guessing targets. As to something new along these lines and for those that like to play with TID, adding target id to a Tejon would bring you really close to a new version of this older model.

KennyD said:
I have owned quite a few different machines, and of them all I enjoy and trust my Deleon the most.
Of the machines I currently own, it is by FAR the deepest. I will not leave home without it.
Hey Kenny, the Deleon hits deeper than your AT pro? That kind of surprises me. I thought the AT pro was suppose to go pretty deep.
Will the Deleon go deeper than a Vaquero?

I used both the Vaquero and the Deleon this year and found that the Vaquero did not have any depth advantage. If I super tuned the Vaquero it would go a little deeper but the disc was pretty much useless. I kept the Deleon and sold the Vaquero. I still have a Tejon but it gathers dust. I'll probably end up selling that machine and stick with the Deleon exclusively.

Good story, BB. I miss my Deleon, but that's how I got the F5 (trade). I needed the GB. But I miss the D's magic.

People lose stuff leaving their vehicles and returning to their vehicles, so it makes good sense to detect when leaving and going back to your vehicle. :detecting:

Nice going on the dollar coins!:thumbup:

tabman

Thanks for all the nice replies. I originally traded another brand detector for my D, which was used, when I really wanted a Cortez. The deal was too good to pass and I didn't particularly like the detector I traded, so, even though at the time I thought of the D as a poor stepsister to the Cortez, my budget allowed me to make the trade. As I mostly hunt decent ground the D has been very good to me and even though I've since picked up a Cortez, I find I reach for the D 3 times out of 4 as I just really enjoy swinging it. AND, as others have mentioned the depth is very good, better than I thought it would be before I tried it.
BB

kansa54 said:
KennyD said:
Hey Kenny, the Deleon hits deeper than your AT pro? That kind of surprises me. I thought the AT pro was suppose to go pretty deep.
Will the Deleon go deeper than a Vaquero?

kansa54,
I guess I should say that my D goes just as deep as my ATP.... Not alot deeper.

I went for a quick hunt a while back and ended up with a couple mercs I slid into my from jeans pocket as to not lose them.
When I got home they were gone. Apparently I forgot that I kept my car keys in the same pocket and the mer s must have jumped ship was I pulled out my keys walking back to the car.
Just goes to show ya-
You can't trust a merc, let alone a pair once they put their heads together!
I'll never learn! Lol