Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another detector comparison question.

A

Anonymous

I'd like some input from users that has owned both the 1270 and Minelab Musketeer Advantage. I bought a 1270 when they first came out and loved it's performance. I understand FRL did an update on the later 1270's for improved iron handling and I've not run one that has this improvement. I've never owned a Muskie or any of it's predecessors, hence my curiosity. My question is how does the current Musketeer and 1270 compare to each other in the usual performance measures. Email input to me if you prefer. TIA for any info.

Hi Brad,
I have both and use them both.. A lot. However I have never done any direct comparisons on located targets so can't tell you "exactly" how they compare just how I feel about them and their general overall characteristics.
The main differnece as I see it is mostly to do with the audio characteristics and concentric vs DD coils. Both are deep and both have there place in my arsenal. the Advantage with the Ts800 coil (actually around 7.25") is great in heavy iron trash and quiet compared to the 1270. The audio tone on good stuff is unmistakeable and it gives a very good initial hit on some pretty tough targets. The other coil I have is the 12.5" Excelerator which gets great depth outdoing the CZ on deeper targets IMO. It handles moderate iron very well. Very deep even in some pretty tough conditions.
The Advantage weakness is the ML coil connector which will not take a lot of strain and the fact that with larger coils it starts to like some iron and really likes bottlecaps, but you learn to compensate.
The 1270 as you know takes some time to get familiar with, especially the audio on the deeper stuff. I find myself removing the top inch or two to get a better read on the weaker responses at the edge of the disc range to see if its ferrous or non-ferrous. The 8" coil hits coins a little deeper than the ML TS800 especially the tilted on edge ones (that is a definite weakness of the smaller DD coils). The 1270 with the 10.5" coil is DEEP! Loves on edge coins and handle moderate iron very well. One thing I really like about the 1270 is its ability to hit mid depth coins very loud even with the coil several inches off the ground. Bottlecaps are generally not a problem unless you are running down close to nail level disc.
They are both good machines and for those hunted out areas where you want to dig it all they both have there place. They are part of my permanent arsenal.
Tom

Brad,
On the Advantage you have to run max sens for best depth, fortunately it handles it well with little masking problems. The 1270 as you know gets very good depth even with the sensitivity at minimum. The 1270 is a threshold (AUDIO) based sensitivty control while the Advantage appears to adjust the gain.
Tom