Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another detector dies and another has an issue, but got a little gold

tvr

Wife and I got away for a long weekend to Norfolk. My old faithful CZ-20 got to the water and would not ground balance and could not find a quarter in the sand at more than about 1 to 2 inches down. I've heard others talk about not being able to get a CZ to ground balance on wet salt sand right out of the box. With two CZ6a's a CZ5 and the CZ20, it has never been an issue; until this past Friday. I guess I need to get it in for the CZ21 update if they are still doing that. June has not been friendly for my detectors. A couple weeks ago my HeadHunter Pulse died.

With the CZ not working, I got in the water with my blue tube Excalibur and after an hour the headphones started going away. I found that I could move the wire going into the headphones to a position to keep them working. I took the leash off my scoop and wrapped it around the headphone to hold the wire in position. When we got back to the room, I was able to find the bad wire that had separated right where it goes through the headphone shell., strip it back and twist it together enough for good contact over the rest of the weekend.

The rest of the weekend was better; hit a couple of beaches. Got 2.5 pounds of what VB Max calls grey matter (fishing weights). And got one little (1.4 gram) 14k gold ring.

We got to eat at a couple of places we have come to like a lot when we are in the area: Jessy's Taqueria (ate there twice) and Whitner's BBQ. Good relaxing trip. First one that wasn't canceled since March due to the pandemic.
Cheers,
tvr

Attachments

• norfolkgold.jpg
    norfolkgold.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 159
Congrats on the gold and get away...I always take more than one detector just in case..sucks that everything breaks at the same time.. I replaced my blues with MALS surf phones when I had the broken wire issue.. They are good phones but the cable on them is just a little heavier than I would prefer..

Thanks.
I frequently travel with three detectors, this trip only packed two.
The headphones I have on the blue tube Excal are DetectorPro Underwater with the transformer removed. This weekend I'll solder in a short length of wire in place of where I just twisted the ends together and properly seal the repair. I've got a spare set of DetectorPro Amphibians that I really should wire in, but am keeping those as spares for now.

Wife and I got away for a long weekend to Norfolk. My old faithful CZ-20 got to the water and would not ground balance and could not find a quarter in the sand at more than about 1 to 2 inches down. I've heard others talk about not being able to get a CZ to ground balance on wet salt sand right out of the box. With two CZ6a's a CZ5 and the CZ20, it has never been an issue; until this past Friday. I guess I need to get it in for the CZ21 update if they are still doing that. June has not been friendly for my detectors. A couple weeks ago my HeadHunter Pulse died.

With the CZ not working, I got in the water with my blue tube Excalibur and after an hour the headphones started going away. I found that I could move the wire going into the headphones to a position to keep them working. I took the leash off my scoop and wrapped it around the headphone to hold the wire in position. When we got back to the room, I was able to find the bad wire that had separated right where it goes through the headphone shell., strip it back and twist it together enough for good contact over the rest of the weekend.

The rest of the weekend was better; hit a couple of beaches. Got 2.5 pounds of what VB Max calls grey matter (fishing weights). And got one little (1.4 gram) 14k gold ring.

We got to eat at a couple of places we have come to like a lot when we are in the area: Jessy's Taqueria (ate there twice) and Whitner's BBQ. Good relaxing trip. First one that wasn't canceled since March due to the pandemic.
Cheers,
tvr

Very nice ring, love the detail!

Good to see you came home with treasure...
Shame the Cz20 went down, I know you have had it for several years. Most of the bay hunters in the area that used CZ20/21's have switched to the Nox, that's just about all you see out there now.

Thanks. The CZ20 was like an old familiar friend. I really don't have an interest in a NOX. I've seen them widespread on trips to Myrtle Beach and had a chance to invite a couple of target comparisons on deep targets ... both CZ and Excal would see deep targets the folks with the NOX wouldn't. I am more interested in the AQ and keeping three or four back up machines for the just in case moments.

PM sent ... or rather "conversation" started.
Cheers!

Edited to add: Biggest benefit for the trip was wife's state of mind. She needed to get away to a beach with people playing on it. She is 1,000 percent happier now and is looking forward to the next beach trip we have in 3 weeks.

Last edited: