Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another example of early coin detecting

Tom_in_CA

Met a fellow who said he'd started detecting in 1964, if my memory serves me right. He was fresh out of high school in Southern CA, and had seen a fellow doing it on the beach. It piqued his interest, so he went out and bought one for himself. There was a shop in southern CA at the time selling Metrotech 220 detectors.

He said that it was no unusual then to see several hunters on the dry sand (probably didn't work on wet salt) plying the popular beaches at that time. And the machine of choice he'd always seen was this Metrotech. So he just followed suit and got the same brand/type.

He eventually gravitated to doing sandboxes. And he discovered that ANY sandbox he'd go to in any park or school had ample change to dig. And in '64 to '65-ish, it was all silver! But since that was "no big deal", he just spent it like you would spend clad today. He said that in any few hour stretch he cared to hunt sandboxes, he could reliably pick up $1 to $3 in change. Which he'd promptly put in his gas tank (gas probably only .19c per gallon then?), and then go buy beer to party with his college buddies :) So he got to where he'd do it just for the money potential, as it paid higher than minimum wage jobs at the time.

He never had the knowledge or forethought to hold on to the silver. Nor to go into more exotic things like ghost towns, etc.....

I sometimes fantasize about going back to the 60's with one of my modern detectors and tearing it up..oh well I guess we can dream a little.