Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another filter question...........

johnedoe

I was doing so experimenting the other day with air testing filters and some ground treats....
Anyway the depth I get when air testing is pretty consistent though out the range of filters EXCEPT the 12.5 high pass, it just about fails completely....

With DS @ 70 and pre amp at 7 I can get a quarter at 8-10 inches air testing in all but the 12.5 high pass...
I am lucky if I can detect it at 4 inches... this is pretty much the same in the ground where I have a known target, the results are similar.

Is this normal?

Thanks for the feed back.

n/t

YUP...... Made no difference at all.

I noticed that 10 band is more sensitive to small surface targets than the high filters. But high filters are more sensitive to silver. Hope this helps

This just my very n00by interpretation but generally I'm in the understanding that the filters are basically more like a noise cancel/ground balance/threshold type of hard line level.

What I mean is as you raise the filter you essentially raise level a signal to ground/filter response has to be to register. I wish I could explain better but this how I see it.

So in an air test is makes sense to not have a lot of difference until you use a high enough setting like 12.5 which make the signal have to be pretty high to register on the machine (aka, less depth)

Now in ground this would be completely different since there is soil matrix to contend with. 5 being more sensitive to weak and deep signals but also more sensitive to emi, ground minerals, and too fast swing falsing on the ground which are also weak signals. As you raise it you essentially raise the "threshold" this target response must pass to register. So more favorable to higher emi, minerals, and faster swing. But obviously not as deep.

Again, just as I intemperate as I've only got 3 hours on a V3i but about 100 hours on study. Life gets in the way of detecting for me.