Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another good day at Burton..

Micheal_R

Staff member
I cannot say that I have ever heard of a colour changing sapphire.. at least I did not before i found this beauty.

[attachment 308095 IMG_0808.JPG]

[attachment 308096 IMG_0810.JPG]

"About Color Change Sapphire - History and Introduction

Color change sapphire is an exceptionally rare fancy variety of corundum which exhibits the unique ability to change color when viewed under different light sources. Although blue is the most common color, color change sapphire can occur in a range of other colors, including greenish, yellowish, pinkish and violet-purple, depending on the coloring agents within the specific stone. Typically, most color change sapphire shifts from blue under natural daylight to a violet-purple under incandescent light. Fine top grade color change sapphire can exhibit quite a noticeable and dramatic color change, but most material will only partially shift from blue to bluish-purple.

In order to truly appreciate color change sapphire, specimens should be observed under different lighting conditions, including early morning daylight, late afternoon daylight, fluorescent light and incandescent light. The unique and rare ability to color change occurs only in rare sapphire that forms with two light transmission windows rather than one. For example, a red gemstone appears red because it absorbs all frequencies of light except for red, but a gemstone that absorbs all frequencies of light except for blue and red appears blue when the light is rich in blue wavelengths, and red when the light source is rich in red wavelengths. Fluorescent light is rich in blue, whereas incandescent is rich in red. Natural daylight is well-balanced, which is why color change sapphire is best viewed under natural daylight."

That's a beautiful piece you have there - I've found a star sapphire once but never a color-changing type...

We're about to get our first taste of winter here for the next couple of days - keep posting those finds! :clapping: