Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another good day on the side walk construction areas, and a first.

I checked on the sidewalk construction again to see if there was any new areas. Another small block had been cleared on one side, and looked real promising. Ground conditions are terrible and I hunted with iron mask on to get a somewhat stable sound. A first for me was my fourth seated dime to come out of the area. I have never found one with arrows, but this 1853 did. I was pumped. Not great shape, but will take her non the less. Other good finds included:
1945 merc., 1957 D washington. 1937 D buffalo, 1866 shield nickle (restamped), 1891, 1883, 1892 Indians, 1955 D, 1946 S, 1941, 1920 wheats. Nice railroad tag with 600 on one side and stamped I. C. R. R. J. Robbins, Boston on reverse. Several neat buttons, two marbles, 1 clad dime, 4 memorials, and a pocket full of the usual junk. The fired bulled looks to be about .58 cal conical base. Love those sidewalk areas. HH

Awesome hunt Tim :beers: Nice assortment of finds.

n/t

banditicey --

I think it has something to do with a change that was made in the coinage -- maybe the size changed a bit, thus the arrows to indicate the "difference?" I forget, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer...

Steve

OK, banditicey --

You had me intrigued, so I couldn't wait for an answer...

I googled, and found this on Wikipedia:

Arrows and rays

In 1853 and 1873, the U.S. Mint changed the weight of each denomination of silver coins. Both times, arrows were added to the coins on each side of the date. These were removed from coins in 1856 and 1875, respectively. In 1853, the mint also placed rays around the eagle on the reverse of half dollars and quarters, a feature which endured for that one year only.

Very cool!

Steve

Thanks for the information. I did not know why some had arrows. I just always wanted to find one. Also the 1937 D buffalo was issued with only three legs on some coins. These are worth a lot more. Too bad mine had 4. lol. HH

Hello Steve,

Thank You For Your Efforts

So Cool

I Luv looking up History when I find a Keeper and need to Know

What a Great "Hobby" we have

Regards, Eva

n/t

Great finds! WTG! I agree sidewalk construction sites are good. I search the rubble/dirt taken away. There is a boro clean fill dump just down the street from me. All the road, sidewalk and curb projects end up here. Thanks for sharing. HH. Matt

n/t