Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

another ground balance ?

north1

I detect in the midwest, northcentral north dakota to be exact. When manual ground balancing with the 3 khz coil I typically get from 22 to 28. Would a 18.75 coil work better with the higher mineralization? I have the 5x10 and 6" in 18.75. Just curious if they would perform better, or if the 3 khz would be just as deadly on high conductors if properly ground balanced.

Frequency doesn't make the difference. The design of the coil will. Compare the GB numbers of your concentric coil to the 5 X 10 DD or the 6-inch DD that you have and you will see that difference. If you can properly ground balance that 3 kHz at 28 or there abouts, it will hunt deeper than the other two you mentioned. If you want a larger coil than those two, I'd suggest the 10.5 inch DD at either frequency. JMHO HH Randy

Does the 5x10 fool people on large iron. I used it for about an hour yesterday and some iron came through as iffy but repeatable and diggable. Turned out to be an iron buttplate for a gun, horse bit and hinge for a barn. Don't remember being fooled this much with my 3khz coil. The 5x10 ground balanced at 24, my 3khz in my yard usually was 28. Thanks for the info digger. You and your expertise are invaluable!!

I'm convinced you'll dig more targets with high ferrous content (such as iron) using the higher frequency coils compared to the 3 kHz. I went out yesterday for the first time this year, and used the 6-inch and 10.5 DD's at 18.75. Dug two axe heads, some small pieces of farm machinery, a couple smashed Mt. Dew cans, along with several IH cents, a Bull Durham watch fob and a Women's Relief Corp badge from 1883. Felt nice to be back out detecting. HH Randy

north1, that is a common problem being the HF coils IDing large iron as good. The best coil for iron is the 3 kHz (LF) coil, listen to the sound of iron with this coil to ID it better. IMO run in Track and use a lower sensitivity in iron areas.

Good hunt Randy. Don't you and north1 in north dakota wish you lived in a place like California, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, Arkansas, South Carolina, Florida, etc. where a person can detect 12 months of the year--all year long with mild winter temperatures, I KNOW I DO!! I really hate the north country, cold weather, and winters, they SUCK big time!

Randy(Digger) wrote, "I'm convinced you'll dig more targets with high ferrous content (such as iron) using the higher frequency coils compared to the 3 kHz. I went out yesterday for the first time this year, and used the 6-inch and 10.5 DD's at 18.75."

Yes I(we) wish Minelab would make a 6-inch and 10.5 DD's at 3 kHz. :crylol: :nopity:

Nice to get out ain't it and dig indians . You had a good day.