Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another Newbie Question

ksabubba

Recently switched to a Minelab SE Pro from another brand of detector that I was not too pleased with.

The first time I went out using the default settings, pulled a mercury at about 6 inches and was sold on the SE.

Sold the other detector immediately!!

Now since then I am pulling pennies (wheat and memorials) and clad (dimes and quarters) down to about 8 inches or more. But no more silver. I am concentrating on high pitch responses and targets in the mostly upper to upper right hand area. I am still hunting in the area of the mercury.

So my question is, am I just not going over any silver or could I be missing it?

Either of those could be the case or you just havent learned how tones sound beyond 8". You said you were using the standard settings.... initially, are you still using them? If you are, you could likely up the sensitivity or the gain a tad. Then... which coil are you using? If its not the Pro or SEF then you might want to take a look at those

Dew.

I guess I am looking for some reassurance that I am going about it in the right way and as everyone says that over time it will all come together.

I have the pro coil and I do have Bryce's settings put in, but was trying to do as he suggested about using the factory settings for a while until it starts to click. I could swear I heard the fluety sound with the silver...but I also feel that I have heard it since and pulled pennies or dimes. I have dug a smaller number of the mid tones trying to pick up the nickels, but no luck yet. I figured to concentrate on the higher tones and target location on the screen until I get them down , then move on to the mid tones. I have a pretty good idea where the pennies and dimes show up on the screen.

I have also tried to stay in a relatively non-trashy areas. I went to a High School (1917) that will be torn down this summer but the targets there where so overwhelming for my limited experience I had to just leave lol!

Guess it will take time to build the confidence up.

Thanks for your comments Dew, appreciate the reply. Seems I am on the right track for now.

If you are digging targets in most locations at 8" you are doing well. You likely will need to really slow down and push the coil along the ground. Once you find that sweep speed that picks up the deep weak tones you are there dude. Those old schools and homes sometimes get noisy... you may have to cherry pick the high tones. I dont remember Bryces settings.... but go into tones and make sure variability and limits are at 10. That will ensure you get the best seperation for those tones.

Dew

If you are finding new stuff that deep, it sounds like you are doing everything right. I have hit some areas that were real old but was finding coins from the 1980's at 8 or 9 inches. it was apparent that fill dirt had been brought in. and that may be the case with you also. as for hunting the old school the best thing that works for me in an area that has a trashy mix of new and old is to listen. Once you hear a good target hit the pinpoint and you will be able to tell if its a good deep signal ( softer and not high pitched )more so than the depth meter. In areas like that I will often avoid the shallow stuff, sure I may miss some good stuff but i don't want to spend all day digging up clad. And you can always go back on a slower day and dig up some shallow targets. Also I feel more comfortable running in Iron mask at around 26, it helps me listen more and not rely on the screen.