Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another ORX/Deus question

Hello everyone. I've been away from detecting for a bit and getting back into the hobby. I've had both the 9 and 11" Coils (low freq) for the Deus before, and preferred the 9" coil as I primarily hunt farm field sites with heavy iron.

My questions are these :

#1. Is there that much of a difference in the high freq coils vs what I used before in my application? I.E. depth, separation and emi susceptibility?

#2 Will the ORX suffice in a heavy "machine gun" type iron sites? Or... will it drive me bonkers without adjustable iron volume?

I know you can turn the volume off, but I prefer the iron on and lower in the background to keep me centered on the old home sites.

As for the high freq coils.... I'm not interested in finding teeny tiny targets, as I regularly dug shoe rivets and .22 bullets with the regular Deus (3.2?). Anything smaller than that is a bit much.

That being said, budget is king as my triplets are still taking all of the money....lol. So I may have to adjust to the ORX...

Thanks for any and all input.

1. 14 is the lowest frequency you can run on with the ORX and HF coil.
2. It works awesome in iron with the ORX you can turn the iron volume on or off if it starts driving you bonkers but with it on its really not that loud of a signal.
3. The lower frequencies handle modern trash better with the ORX I like running it around 15.6 frequency it rings off good on silver coins, gold jewelry and nickels on this setting. The deeper non ferrous targets will up average the target ID so you may get fooled by the old beaver tails with pull rings attached. But in the amount of time I've spent with the ORX I have to say it's a eye opening machine. And it's Deeeep even in mineralized dirt.

Depends what you want to hunt for but my DEUS with 9" X35 has the highest FREQ I want to use and still pull tiny stuff.

88junior said:
1. 14 is the lowest frequency you can run on with the ORX and HF coil.
2. It works awesome in iron with the ORX you can turn the iron volume on or off if it starts driving you bonkers but with it on its really not that loud of a signal.
3. The lower frequencies handle modern trash better with the ORX I like running it around 15.6 frequency it rings off good on silver coins, gold jewelry and nickels on this setting. The deeper non ferrous targets will up average the target ID so you may get fooled by the old beaver tails with pull rings attached. But in the amount of time I've spent with the ORX I have to say it's a eye opening machine. And it's Deeeep even in mineralized dirt.

Great info, exactly what I was looking for. I typically ran the higher freq. with the Deus anyways to help with the smaller stuff and I always preferred three tones, so I guess the ORX will be a good fit. I'll give it a go. Thank you!

I sold my Deus a few years ago because it was requiring more settings attention than my overloaded brain was willing to commit to seeing as how I was running several other machines and just didn't give it enough focus to master the settings in a way I was comfortable with. I have an ORX coming on Monday hoping it will strike me much the way 88junior finds it.

You made a great decision Pastor Tom. :thumbup:

your gonna love it :thumbup:

I advise (with tongue in cheek) every intermediate detectorist to own a V3i and use it exclusively for at least 6 mos. After that time frame any other detector will seem simple to operate. That being said I really enjoyed that detector... Ok, back on topic...

I liked the Deus but found many of the features it offered were rarely used. I prefer three tones so that's not an issue... My main concern is the iron volume, which 88junior responded to... I'm hoping the ORX platform has similar audio nuances as the Deus. You can really gain allot of info from those three tones... Pasttom, I look forward to hearing what you think about the ORX. I have one coming next week as well!

I turn iron volume off for competition hunts. If I use my orx in the wild what advavantage would iron volume on help in coin hunting?

Mainly to let you know when there's a abundance of iron in the ground that you need to slow your sweep speed down and listen for the high and mid tones in amongst the iron low tones.