Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another potential problem with the AT Pro?

Bill_S

Done some air tests with the sniper coil. You can see the video in the post below. To tell you the truth I was not that impressed with the depth. Even though the weather here is nasty I took it for a spin to a local park. I wanted to try it on some real in ground targets. I was getting two way repeatable hits that seemed a little deeper but when I tried to pinpoint it seemed like the detector would not pick up the target. It was ok if the target was real shallow. It would then pinpoint with a tone. I took a dime and buried it about 4 inches and was able to get a good repeatable signal both ways with an ID in the 70's or 80's but when I went to pinpoint it would not pick up the dime. Something has to be wrong somewhere. The detector was ground balanced, full charge on the batteries, the coil cable was plugged in tight and all that good stuff. I do not believe it was operator error. Guess I will have to call Garrett again on Monday unless someone has an idea.

It really sounds like a ground balance issue. I'm not saying you didn't do it properly. And I'm not saying the coil is defective. Maybe you should try another area. Just to make sure all your ducks are in a row before you call Garrett. I read a post on another forum by Keith Southern I think. He said he would auto ground balance and then take about 10 off of that with the manual control. He claimed he was getting really good depth, but the pinpointing went to crap. To be honest your video on the depth of the new coil did not impress me. Not like the the stock coil does. I know we are talking about a much smaller coil, but the small shooter coil I had on my old Prizm 6T out performed what you were showing. The answers will come.

I done some more testing and with a nickel it will work just fine. Maybe its the small size of the dime that is giving it problems......I think I am going to stick with the detectors I got and sell the AT Pro. Check the classifieds if anyone is interested or PM me.

sort of left me scratching my head....What does the stock coil do? does it seems like it gets depth? At-Pro's air test extremely well...Not sure if the sniper is out of whack or is that the nature of Garrett Concentric small coil's?

My small coils on other machine's get excellent air depth and great in ground depth...

I will have a small coil here on Monday and will see what it does....If it act's like your's I will not be happy for sure....

Sorry about your trouble's...

Keith

one tone down in pro mode??? Hard to tell but it seem's like on the Quarter in pro mode it is comming in at mid tone... and the Nickle seemed to sneak a low tone in there one time???

Might just be the camera audio but it did not sound right???

If it is doing such the coil could be out of tune for sure.. what are the VDI's reading???

I hope to goodness they have not wired a underwater plug on the wrong sniper coil... that's the way a coil will act when freq is out...sometimes they will work when the freq is out but the I.D.system will be seriously screwed up....one thing you mention is there is no target in pinpoint ....Sure sign the Ground Balance is not correct and can be from the wrong freq coil....I run my G.B point low for extra depth but the pinpoint is useless...it act's like a target is not there..it is the reactive ground doing it...it think's the ground is a target and tunes it out ....only will hear shallow targets when the G.B is off from the right spot...

This is all speculation but hate to see you get rid of a powerhouse machine for a bad coil....Machine is Bad Azz when you get the nuances under your belt...it is a real contender in alot of scenario's...

I got one ( 4.5 sniper) coming form Big Boy's... I see you got one from there also.....Mine will be here Monday...Let me check mine and see If Mine does it or does not do it ...We can go from there....

not trying to tell you what to do but could be simple to fix..And not trying to say that the coil is out of freq ..But let's see if that's the case..

Keith

Thanks for the reply Keith. With the stock coil on it it has plenty of depth. Probably like the other air tests I have seen. I do not think the TID was wrong on the coil. I will do some more test and listen for the sound. Like you said too, the other detectors I have with small coils will blow the AT sniper coil away. It is not even close to the performance of them. I know the idea of a smaller coil is to get better seperation and not necessarily depth but 5 inches or so is pretty weak. Let me know when you get your sniper in and run some tests of your own. If yours acts the same way then maybe thats all the better they will perform.

Depth is a matter of physics and bound by the laws of physics. Generally you will get the depth a coil is at it's greatest. I.E. a 11" coil will get roughly 11" deep. Of course conditions and other things do influence this to some degree, but for the most part the formula is reliable. The 4.5 sniper should get roughly 4.5" deep. The air test on the 4.5 showed this to be the case.

I guess my S-5 SunRay coil on my ML machines never read the book on the laws of physics , because it passes the 5" mark by a few inches .....Jim

Bill I don't know if it just my detector or what but I can get two different ground balance points at each location. I run the GB up to 90 and GB and remember this number. Then I run the GB down to 30 and ground balance again. I get a different number than before. I manually move the GB to a point I get between the two GB points. My depth seems better deeper at this point. You might try this.

Yes. The ATpro has a "window" of between 5 and 8 numbers depending on how you GB the machine. Seems to work fine anywhere in the window.

at this point low conductors really does not change...

My ground is upper 80's to 90 and I can run it at 70 even 60's with no problem of falsing...but turn the iron audio and it will be a blanket of noise from the ground but it goes DEEEEEP.

one of the few machine's I have seen where the ground balance can be altered so much and it not cause disc falsing...

Keith