Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another Question on the Eurotek Pro 11" DD coil

Probably a silly question: but I don't know what VCO audio is?

I have a 3 tone machine, low for iron, hi tone for silver, copper....and a mid-tone for all others (pulltabs, gold, bottle caps...)

The Euro tek has 3 tones; Low, VCO, and High

I know what Low and High means, but not VCO?

I'm assuming that the VCO is a variable tone depending on where the target falls between iron and silver? If so, what are the VDI numbers (is it for example, between 39 and 79 ??) when this VCO kicks in?

Thanks

Ken

Hi there!

VCO stands for Voltage Controlled Oscillator, as you surely knew, and it was used on the designs of the first metal detectors in its all-analog form. It gave you a higher pitch on your speaker as the signal coming from the coil got stronger -- so the voltage coming from the coil controls the oscillation frequency on the speaker. It was a way the machines back then gave you a feel for how far the target was from the coil.

The Eurotek and other machines that have VCO today use a more sophisticated form of it which goes through a microcontroller, but in essence it behaves the same. The closer your target is to the coil, the higher pitch and higher volume you get on the speaker.

There are machines that use something like what you said, a variable tone tied to VDI. The T2 has a mode where you get a different tone for every possible VDI number, lower tones in the iron range and higher tones in the silver. At least that is the way I remember it off the top of my head, I am not a T2 expert =)

Hope that helps, cheers!

J. Anton Saad.

Ken, download the operating manual for the Eurotek Pro and read through it.
The VCO tone can be changed depending on where the disc is set. It makes more
sense reading about it and seeing the graphs in the owners manual.

Roger