Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another torn down old house lot, Gold +.

JFlynn

I started out running the concentric coil on the Gold + but after about an hour realized there was way too much trash that had been under this house for a long time along with the demolition debri on top of it mixed in by the dozier. Actually so busy I couldn't figure which way was up really. Depth not being the solution here at all or the 10" coil. I put on the 5" DD coil, way easier to distinguish at least something. Ran in Fast and started easing the disc up as in Toms post just a number or two at a time over an hour until I got to 20. Ran extremely well and started digging targets. When I moved the disc to 21 a lot of the noise, metal reports just went away. What ever that break point is it has to be a hair above where most all iron will come in at except larger pieces. I reduced the disc back to 20 then 15 over a period of time and left it there. Ran very very well and well here's most of what I retrieved. A Buffalo, Merc, several wheats, clad, token of some sort, just realized that. Quite a few pieces of lead. Some small lead and other small goodies. I actually chased quite a few good sounding, solid I'll say, medium TID's but could not find them even though the pinpointer was responding as I was rolling the target around in the dirt. Some welcome observations I might add. Looking for steady TID numbers as to dig or not, 3 bottlecaps came in at 65-67 TID? Have we changed something I wonder. Also the TID's seem to hold more stable seems like. Foil...........mid 60's..........I mean small foil up to large cigar wrapper foil......

From the looks of this dirt, shall I say powder, it hasn't seen rain in maybe 75 years.

Trash hunters heaven.

3 days ago.............

Nice merc. I always find that bottle caps throw a steel VDI in with the mid 60s as I X over them with the Core.

having a very good detector and coils in-hand. It looks like you had an enjoyable time, and that's what the hobby is all about, having fun! Naturally, part of the 'fun factor' is recovering some interesting old targets. :thumbup:

JFlynn said:
I started out running the concentric coil on the Gold + but after about an hour realized there was way too much trash that had been under this house for a long time along with the demolition debri on top of it mixed in by the dozier. Actually so busy I couldn't figure which way was up really. Depth not being the solution here at all or the 10" coil. I put on the 5" DD coil, way easier to distinguish at least something.
Trash can be a problem once the search coil gets too big for dense debris. As I work the FORS Gold + I have been leaning more and more towards favoring the 5½X10 Concentric for most of the low-to-moderate trashy environments.

Heading out today, although quite chilly and windy, in the hope that an old site might be a little protected from the winds. I can handle lower-to-mid 30's as long as it isn't windy. I'll start out with the Concentric coil, but I know there are some old foundations that have more nearby trash so the 5" DD will get mounted. I sure with Nokta would make a round Concentric coil in the 5" to 6" diameter size as I feel it would excel in the nastier trash

JFlynn said:
Ran in Fast and started easing the disc up as in Toms post just a number or two at a time over an hour until I got to 20. Ran extremely well and started digging targets. When I moved the disc to 21 a lot of the noise, metal reports just went away. What ever that break point is it has to be a hair above where most all iron will come in at except larger pieces. I reduced the disc back to 20 then 15 over a period of time and left it there. Ran very very well and well here's most of what I retrieved.
So far the bulk of my evaluation has been using the Boost mode, but I often counter-check located targets in both Fast and All Metal just to better appreciate what the different search coils and settings can do. My saved settings have ID Mask at '20' which generally handles a lot of the iron I encounter, but sometimes I do bump it to '21' when I'm in the mode to knock out a little more of the mixed iron nails.

Fast is set at '10' and I also frequently drop Boost to '10' depending upon the site environment and the mood I'm in.

JFlynn said:
A Buffalo, Merc, several wheats, clad, token of some sort, just realized that. Quite a few pieces of lead. Some small lead and other small goodies. I actually chased quite a few good sounding, solid I'll say, medium TID's but could not find them even though the pinpointer was responding as I was rolling the target around in the dirt. Some welcome observations I might add.
The FORS Gold + definitely shows its ability to serve as a Relic Hunting unit and not just for Gold Nugget Prospecting. Any of the closer gold producing areas are now frozen and/or snow covered so nugget hunting will have to wait until I take a 1 or 2 week trip next month. I am sure my journey will also loop me through some old sites to hunt and my Nokta Pointer will serve me well since I have found the Gold + to be very sensitive to tinier-size targets.

Depending upon the coil and the conditions, I also like the fact that the visual Target ID target response is very close to what my FORS CoRe reports, although the Gold + does often bump up 1 to 2 numbers in the VDI response. It isn't way out-of-whack due to the change in operating frequency, just a smidgeon.

JFlynn said:
Looking for steady TID numbers as to dig or not, 3 bottlecaps came in at 65-67 TID? Have we changed something I wonder.
I've encountered bottle caps, and probably 95% of the time I can audibly 'call-them' using search techniques, partly because most bottle caps are relatively shallow, in the surface to 3" range. Also because the Nokta detectors have a very 'descriptive' audio response. On direct sweeps I have had bottle caps report in the '49' to '71' range so far, depending upon their condition and orientation to the coil.

JFlynn said:
Also the TID's seem to hold more stable seems like. Foil...........mid 60's..........I mean small foil up to large cigar wrapper foil.
Like the FORS CoRe and Makro Racer, the Gold+ TID stability 'locks-on' targets very well..

I hope Santa brings me a camera for Christmas so I can get some photos while afield. Thanks for your attached photos, and best of success in the coming year..

Monte