Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any Coinstrike or ID Edge users in the DuPage or Cook county Illinois areas?

yogaguy

Hi All.
I'm a Fisher Coinstrike and ID Edge newbie here. I've experimented around with them in the past by renting them from dealers. I would like to get serious with them though and learn them in better detail. I live in the DuPage county area, but I'm also not far from Cook county. I was wondering if I could meet up with those more experienced with these machines in the area to learn them better? I would be willing to pay for time. Just want to learn these machines better to be more prepared in field. Thanks. Sincerely, Randy

yogaguy said:
Hi All.
I'm a Fisher Coinstrike and ID Edge newbie here. I've experimented around with them in the past by renting them from dealers. I would like to get serious with them though and learn them in better detail. I live in the DuPage county area, but I'm also not far from Cook county. I was wondering if I could meet up with those more experienced with these machines in the area to learn them better? I would be willing to pay for time. Just want to learn these machines better to be more prepared in field. Thanks. Sincerely, Randy

I don't live near you but while you wait for somebody to pop up maybe we can make could use of the time and you can get some help via cyber world!

The biggest learning curve and common problem for people with the Coinstrike (C$) is the "Threshold" and "Sensitivity" settings and how they are always related to setting them!

There is some easy help to start off with, download a copy of the Fisher "Gold Strike" user's manual, go straight to the section covering "Threshold" Whoever wrote that for the C$ made it a mess!
If you go to the "Metal Detecting" area of this forum and look near the top there is a topic listing a link for manuals, you can get the Gold Strike manual from there!

One thing that I found that really helps the C$ is a set of good volume limiting headphones! Fisher went over the top with audio power at the headphone jack, and that means that most of the time you have to run with the detectors volume turned pretty low if you want to keep your head attached (I'm not so sure that for the headphone circuit they just didn't "Y" off the internal speaker connection LOL).
I have a set of Sunray Pro Golds, my brother has the GrayGhost but I do feel that they helped me and the C$, now I just crank the detector's volume to full and let the headphone's circuit take care of the overage of volume without losing those tiny little distant signals.

More Later!

Mark

I have the C$ and the Edge. If you learned how to use the Edge the C$ should be easy to learn, except for the 3 memories. These detectors are almost identical. The MENU button on the C$ is for the memories only. Dave NJ

jabbo said:
I have the C$ and the Edge. If you learned how to use the Edge the C$ should be easy to learn, except for the 3 memories. These detectors are almost identical. The MENU button on the C$ is for the memories only. Dave NJ
The menu buttons is only for memories??
Menu button is how you get to most settings!
Sensitivity,
Iron Disc,
Volume,
Threshold,
Salt mode,
Target averaging,
Notch,
ect....

Mark

Threshold, Sensitivity, etc are in the Memories setup. Menu lets you enter the Memories to make changes.

jabbo said:
Threshold, Sensitivity, etc are in the Memories setup. Menu lets you enter the Memories to make changes.

I've never used the memory banks on my coinstrike.

But I often change threshold, notch, sensitivity.
If you have a setting for a specific area then you can put that group of settings in memory. And menu is how you get back to load that group of presets.
If your coinstrike isn't like that yours is a completely different machine than mine. Now that may be how the Edge is?? I've never ran one of those.
One downside to the C$ is to even change the volume you have to go through the menu, each time you push the menu pad the graphic icon on the display changes from one to the other, then it starts a cycle of letters,
SO,
NO,
MEM,
ect...
The C$ is menu driven!

Copy & Paste from the C$ manual.
Lets not mislead the title poster.

Mark

___________________________________________________________________________________

3. The MENU button enables you to enter the

Mark, I probably have the same C$ as you, I don't think they made more than one model. The way I see it is the detector operates from the settings I put in the memories or while in the factory preset memory. I keep all the settings the same in memory 1, 2, and 3 except for the Threshold, Sensitivity, and Iron Disc settings. I like the C$ but the less expensive Edge goes just as deep in my mild soil.

jabbo said:
Mark, I probably have the same C$ as you, I don't think they made more than one model. The way I see it is the detector operates from the settings I put in the memories or while in the factory preset memory. I keep all the settings the same in memory 1, 2, and 3 except for the Threshold, Sensitivity, and Iron Disc settings. I like the C$ but the less expensive Edge goes just as deep in my mild soil.

Now, that makes more sense! you choose to use the memory banks as your main mode of operation, rather than the menu by design is made sully for accessing the "Memories"

By, design (the concept) the detector has four memory banks,
bank (0) This bank isn't programmable. The detector has a feature that keep/save the last settings that was being ran when you turn the detector off, except for ground balance and ground tracking, ect. The detector uses bank (0) for these area of storage.

For all my same settings I just let the detector use bank (0) and I access the settings through the menu to fine tune the,
Sensitivity, and
Threshold,
based on mainly EMI interference. The reason for this is because I want to use the most sensitive (hot) setting I can most of the time,
0 threshold,
8 Sensitivity,
but in mid day solar interference will force me to kick it down a little,
maybe more electrical interference will cause me to have to turn it down. For any number of reasons I sometimes find that I cannot run the HOT settings so I will go into the menu and start backing these settings down something like this,
-10 Threshold,
6 Sensitivity,
if the detector is still a little unstable then I would back the settings off a little more,
-25 Threshold,
5 Sensitivity. ect. ect................

Banks (1) (2) (3) are available for user program storage. Where I hunt and the way I hunt I don't have a need for some special group of settings from one place to another. Now if I had a place where I went where I had to dial up a bunch of changes to hunt there then I would set it and then load that group of settings into one of the memory storage banks. Which I believe was the idea of the designers when they came up with the memory banks. Now they are many ways that a user may use the menu and memory setup of any detector and that's fine! however the user can setup the available options and features to best get the goodies out of the ground is the way its supposed to be.

Mark

I've been using banks 1, 2, 3. Each of these banks was set to my preferences. I was making any temporary changes in bank 1, didn't know about bank 0. Now that I know about bank 0 I will use it for most of my hunting, won't have to make any temporary changes in 1, 2, or 3. Thanks again, Dave

From the manual,

________________________________________________________________________________

Your new Coin Strike provides you with 3 memory locations to store your favorite control settings. These memory locations will store the Iron DISC level, THRESHOLD level, SENSITIVITY level, and NOTCH disc. Please note that the SALT Mode and VOLUME level will not be stored.
At this point, we would also like to remind you that your Coin Strike has a last-setting memory feature. This means that the unit will maintain the control settings when it is turned OFF, saving the same settings for you when you turn your Coin Strike back ON (except for the salt mode; this will always default to salt mode off).
By pressing the MENU button to enter the MENU mode and then pressing it again until the

MarkCZ said:
From the manual,

________________________________________________________________________________

Memory address

I got a PM stating that the person didn't fully understand the "Threshold" control on the coinstrike, well here goes.

The threshold control can be thought of a couple of different ways,
on some other brands it would be closer to what they refer to as "Preamp gain"

Think of the coinstrike as having two sides to its electronics,
The detection side and
The audio reporting side. (audio circuit)

The sensitivity is more closely related to the detection side of the electronics.
The "Threshold" is more related to the audio reporting part of the electronics.

When the detection circuit responds to a target it sends the signal to the preamp side of the audio circuit and that triggers the audio amp to signal the user that a target has been found, via the built in speaker or headphones.

When you adjust the threshold your adjusting the audio circuits preamp sensitivity. In other words, its like a motion detector and your adjusting how much it takes to sound the alarm.
The preamp is most sensitive to trigger or gate (alarm) at a setting of (0) at that setting it takes very little to set off the alarm, the farther down the minus numbers the more it takes to set of the alarm off.

So, in good ground or in an area with very little electrical or solar interference you could probably run the threshold closer to (0) and a pretty high level of sensitivity as well and the detector still be stable. But in other conditions you may have to lower the control settings of both the "Sensitivity" and the "Threshold" to stabilize the detector.
On my Coinstrike I like to run it @ 8 & -5 (sensitivity 8 and a threshold of -5) these settings are pretty hot but I find that in most cases the detector is pretty stable.

With the settings above the detector will run really deep and could be referred to as "Hot" and in bad conditions would have to be backed off some. But they're other reasons a user may not want to run the detector that hot! lets say your going to surface hunt a ball field (cherry pick) you could set the settings to (2) & (-30) at these settings the detector will lose some depth but will be very stable to run.

The "Threshold" adjust how ticklishly the audio preamp circuit is.

Also, the Coinstrike is a silent search detector, meaning that it runs with no background noise! But if you adjust the threshold between 0 and +4 it will have a background running tone. Keep in mind that automatic ground trac works best with the threshold set just a little minus of 0 (-5 to -10)

Moving on!

Mark

MarkCZ said:
I got a PM stating that the person didn't fully understand the "Threshold" control on the coinstrike, well here goes.

The threshold control can be thought of a couple of different ways,
on some other brands it would be closer to what they refer to as "Preamp gain"

Think of the coinstrike as having two sides to its electronics,
The detection side and
The audio reporting side. (audio circuit)

The sensitivity is more closely related to the detection side of the electronics.
The "Threshold" is more related to the audio reporting part of the electronics.

When the detection circuit responds to a target it sends the signal to the preamp side of the audio circuit and that triggers the audio amp to signal the user that a target has been found, via the built in speaker or headphones.

When you adjust the threshold your adjusting the audio circuits preamp sensitivity. In other words, its like a motion detector and your adjusting how much it takes to sound the alarm.
The preamp is most sensitive to trigger or gate (alarm) at a setting of (0) at that setting it takes very little to set off the alarm, the farther down the minus numbers the more it takes to set of the alarm off.

So, in good ground or in an area with very little electrical or solar interference you could probably run the threshold closer to (0) and a pretty high level of sensitivity as well and the detector still be stable. But in other conditions you may have to lower the control settings of both the "Sensitivity" and the "Threshold" to stabilize the detector.
On my Coinstrike I like to run it @ 8 & -5 (sensitivity 8 and a threshold of -5) these settings are pretty hot but I find that in most cases the detector is pretty stable.

With the settings above the detector will run really deep and could be referred to as "Hot" and in bad conditions would have to be backed off some. But they're other reasons a user may not want to run the detector that hot! lets say your going to surface hunt a ball field (cherry pick) you could set the settings to (2) & (-30) at these settings the detector will lose some depth but will be very stable to run.

The "Threshold" adjust how ticklishly the audio preamp circuit is.

Moving on!

Mark

WOW I even understand that and I don't even have a Coinstrike:lol: good job little brother

On adjusting the threshold I found that the manual for the Fisher "Gold Strike" explains it a little better than the manual for the coinstrike does.

Copy & Paste for the Gold Strike manual.

Mark

_________________________________________________________________________________

The THRESHOLD control can be adjusted with the
arrow buttons between

WV62 said:
WOW I even understand that and I don't even have a Coinstrike:lol: good job little brother

Speaking of not having a C$ they're is a BRAND NEW IN THE BOX C$ for sale on the forum @ a really good price if somebody is looking for one/

Well I try!
That was kind-a hard on my old GoodWill keyboard.

Mark

Mark, Do you ever set the Threshold higher than 0, say +1. In Disc mode air tests I seem to get a little more depth on a coin with +1, but the constant buzz is too annoying to use in the field. My Tesoro Golden always runs silent in Disc mode. Even if the Threshold is turned up max I never hear any background buzz in Disc mode.

MarkCZ said:
On adjusting the threshold I found that the manual for the Fisher "Gold Strike" explains it a little better than the manual for the coinstrike does.

Copy & Paste for the Gold Strike manual.

Mark

_________________________________________________________________________________

The THRESHOLD control can be adjusted with the
arrow buttons between

jabbo said:
Mark, Do you ever set the Threshold higher than 0, say +1. In Disc mode air tests I seem to get a little more depth on a coin with +1, but the constant buzz is too annoying to use in the field. My Tesoro Golden always runs silent in Disc mode. Even if the Threshold is turned up max I never hear any background buzz in Disc mode.

No, I've never ran it set to any plus numbers, I keep it set pretty much between -15 to -5 Early in the morning in a really good location I will set the threshold (0) but if its ends being a hot sunny day solar interference will more than likely force me to back it back down.

My co-worker had gotten used to running detectors with a operating tone and he said he ran his @ +1

Mark