Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any comments on Minelab 1050 compares to Joey?

monindou

Hi folks,

I have an SE and as a precaution I bought a Joey - since then I've bought the Sunray x12 & x8 as well. When hunting with the 10" coils though I use the Joey 95% of the time. I've used the Slimline with no problem but the bad publicity I've read on it has kind of tainted it for me. I've been kicking around posting a WTB to seek out a Exp2 -1050 coil but before I do I'm wondering if anyone has done comparison hunting with the Joey and the Ex2-1050 coil and might be willing to give comments?

Thanks,
Doug M.

Doug;
For changing the slimline for the older coil ?? I would not do that for the simple reason you already answered : You have not had any problems and as granny said if it ant broke dont fix it. I have had the false issue with the slimline and not fond of it doing that so much but it is not a lot worse to me than the old coil just more sensitive will make it false more kinda a damn if you do and damn if you dont ? I think from using both coils that they are about the same on depth. James ND is a firm believer in the Joey and he has lots of silver to prove it works. Good Luck
Grumpy

All I would like to tell you is that not every slimline is bad. The problem is sporadic and can affect one coil but not the next.
After rethinking this, I'm not sure at this point if it's location or the coil itself.
If the coil gives you no problem, then I would not hesitate to use it with confidence.

Hi fellas,

Say, I really appreciate the candor of your responses. I know that James_ND has had ton of luck using the Joey, and in fact the PM exchange he and I had on it sealed the deal on my decision to get that coil. I had a similar conversation with Bryce_IL on the 6" Excelorator and that coil is also on my "to get" list, along with a couple of spare lower shafts. But I'll promise you this guys, I'll give the Slimline a fair shake once I can see dirt again : )

BTW, if I may run this through you for comment - I had a very strange thing happen to me with the Slimline last fall. I was hunting in a sandy location in the rain, I had the control box was covered and I had poorboy water proofing around the battery/ear phone plug so all of the sensitive stuff was totally sealed. Anyway, my coil got covered with sand and I washed it off at the outside pump where I was hunting. Immediately after that my threshold started this mid-range hum and I couldn't get a response from the machine, even waving it all over the steel pump didn't give a signal. Anyway, I removed the coil cover and there was maybe 10-15 grains of sand sand between the coil and cover. Recalling the "Sticky Tip" on the board where it said that once in a while you've got to wash out the coil and cover both I did just that and life was immediately back to normal.

I figured that what occurred above might be a "typical experience" with the Explorer, but I'm not sure, I've only used DFX for the last 4-5 years and I never had anything like that happen to me. What do you think?

Thanks again for the advice on the Slimline!

Merry Christmas fellas!

Doug M.

Did you by chance tip the machine up enough to let some water run down the inside of the shaft and into the box ?
Just a thought.

Hi NH_Bob,

Know I don't believe that water got into the control box because immediately after rinsing off the coil and cover separately things started working - the test was done with the cover off and on.

I would assume that if there was water in the control box the "zaniness" would have kept on going on after the separate cleaning. Right?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Doug