Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any concentric coils in the works?

Sadly, no, not the last I heard. I've asked about Concentric coils since before the Simplex + was released, and it took a long to to get the two accessory coils now offered. Of those i keep the 5X9½ DD mounto one of my two Simplex + devices because it balances well and works great for 'average' hunting environments. My first Simplex + I've had since mid-November last year still sports the stock 11" DD coil. I use it in open park ares or plowed fields, but I am hoping for a smaller coil in the round-shaped and about 5" diameter to come out ... hoping. It will be needed for the really dense iron littered places i like to hunt.

The last I heard in communications, way back before we got the two DD's, was that they didn't have or couldn't have a Concentric for the Simplex +. I don't know why not and still hope something will come along.

Monte

How about a 6” DD and call it good? Maybe it’s like the T2 and just can’t use concentric coils. The machine has incredible separation by nature, a 6” DD will feel like good coverage and will surely dominate your NBPT, Monte. I’m surprised 8” round was the size of choice for their round coil. With an 11 and a 9.5 x 5 your really don’t need an 8” round. Even though I had high hopes for it.

How about a 6” DD and call it good? Maybe it’s like the T2 and just can’t use concentric coils. The machine has incredible separation by nature, a 6” DD will feel like good coverage and will surely dominate your NBPT, Monte. I’m surprised 8” round was the size of choice for their round coil. With an 11 and a 9.5 x 5 your really don’t need an 8” round. Even though I had high hopes for it.
You made me re-read my post above. There's no way I wanted the round 8" coil for the Simplex +. I tried both of the accessory coils since my friend bought both and opened them here at my place for us to check out. Both were heavier than i thought they should be, especially the round 8" DD. In addition, the rod-mount 'ears' are too far to the rear from the center-axis of the coil and that gives it a heavier feel and makes in nose-heavy and imbalanced. I kept the 5X9½ DD which makes a very good 'general-use' coil to complement the round 11" DD.

As for a smaller-size coil I definitely want something that is about 5" to slightly bigger, like their other 5" coils. Something in the 5" to 5½" and no-bigger than 6" in diameter. I would really like a good-working Concentric coil but, naturally, a Double-D would be fine as well. Just a good smaller-size search coil, of either type, as long as it works well. The Simplex + is a 'surprise' model in this industry as it has more features and better performance than a lot of the competition .... and is very affordable.

I was working on some of the multi-model test comparisons this morning for a couple of hours before daylight, comparing some with a 'standard' coil and some with an 'optional' coil and it was quite interesting. It was matching some of the results i have experienced in the last couple of months working some house renovation work and other littered places. Contrary to some forum posters who seem to get a bit carried away about SMF operation or other multi-frequency selectable devices, priced out of my evaluation group anyway, the Simplex + w/5X9½ DD and Apex w/6X11 DD were both performing a bit better than my MX-7 w/6½" Concentric, Omega-8500 w/10" Concentric elliptical, F5 w/7" round Concentric and ... of all things ... my Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD.

All models I like, for certain tasks in certain conditions. It's nice to pick-and-choose from what I like that works well. Oh, this was also one 'test scenario' where visual TID is about useless due to the amount of near-proximity trash so audio is king! And all of these detectors and coil needed to try and match the audio response from my Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX with each sporting a round 6" Concentric coil.

I didn't work the 4" or 5" coils on the Omega-8500 or F5, because I already knew what they could or couldn't do, and there is no smaller-size coil for the Apex or Vanquish 540 or Simplex +, even though it worked so well.with the 5X9½ DD. I can just imagine what a 5" to 6" Concentric or DD might bring to the table in field performance.

Monte

I sure want a coil that’s 7 inches round or smaller, that would really open up a lot of new hunting spots for me since i’m not really in the position to buy an anfibio

I sure want a coil that’s 7 inches round or smaller, that would really open up a lot of new hunting spots for me since i’m not really in the position to buy an anfibio
Indeed, and with the product review I am working on right now, using a good assortment of makes and models, it helps confirm to be the value of smaller-size search coil;s. I've relied on them most of the time since '68 right to the present, mostly because I hunt very littered sites, or some with dense brush to maneuver through and around. Because I am taking a very practical approach to doing these side-by-side comparisons they are not simply a 'depth test' but are taking on everyday types of sites and encounters.

This past few days of working on evaluations with models I have had on-hand and now with four or five additional detectors, it is getting interesting. .I have a new detector, like one I parted with last spring, with a new search coil that is impressing me for wide-open hunt sites. And to compare the performance I'm seeing so far, I am comparing it side-by-side with another model with a bigger coil I have been using since last November .... the Simplex +. Totally impressed with what this model offers in the way of adjustable features, search mode designs, and in-the-field performance.

Not only does it work well and balance really nice, but the optional coil I settled on for my needs is the 5X9½ DD and, once again, performance is impressive. I keep one of my two Simplex + units equipped right now with the stock 11" DD, but I am hoping Nokta / Makro will answer our call for a smaller-size coil, round in shape, and between 5" and 6" in diameter. Due to health limitations I have been trimming my detector outfit (I'll get back to trimming more my my evaluations are done) to have lighter-weight and comfortable detectors at-the-ready in my den, and have my Daily-Use Team ready-to-hunt and ion my vehicle. Among that group now is my Simplex + w/5X9½ DD.

I've thinned-out an Impact and Anfibio-Multi and about six other detectors since April, and more are going soon.

Monte

Monte, are you able to do in shallow water hunting with the Simplex? Have seriously thought about it for this reason. My CTX gets really heavy and my Deus not a great water machine. I've never been a big coil guy, an 8 or 9 in fields about my limit, but a dealer I know told me Nokta had considered a large concentric for the really deep stuff but shelved it. I've had enough really large coils but would have considered this one. pt

Not close to a coastal beach and can't maneuver in loose sand well, but I do like to find some of the firmer or rocky freshwater beaches. They have been lowering the reservoirs through the growing season and next week we'll have a few warmer days when I plan to visit one. I was told the water is lower enough to give access to the wading and swimming beach area and that's where I'll head.

The Simplex + is one of my overall favorite detectors in Daily-Use team, and I'll work both coils on the beach. I keep my first Simplex + at-the-ready with the stock 11" DD coil which is great for the open areas I like to hunt, like plowed fields, beaches, etc. My primary-use Simplex + keeps the 5X9½ DD mounted and makes for stiff competition for most detectors folks like to try and compare with it. That's the coil I'll use in the trashier picnic areas close to the beach. I've only had the chance to use my Simplex in freshwater so far, but so far it has performed well. I'll let you know when I get finished with a beach trip next week.

Monte