Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any down side to notching out the 92 up in 8 kHz?

parkgt

Getting to many pesky 90+ signals. If notching them out isn't the best approach what is?

Depends on the site. If it's loaded with iron trash, especially larger deeper iron your GB in tracking mode will not be optimal. What you can do when you first turn on the machine is find a relatively clean patch of ground and sweep it for a few seconds and notice the numbers in the upper right hand corner of your display. This is the ground "reading" and the number below that is the GB setting that the machine is currently in. You want the two numbers pretty close for stable operation and if you're just starting out - take notice of that upper right number and get an average after sweeping for a few seconds. Then go to Manual GB and set the value (the lower right hand number) anywhere from 2-4 whole points above your "average" GB reading. This will insure you have a stable machine and your "falses" if that is what they are will become less of a nuisance.

If you set GB manually too low iron falsing will become more of a problem but your machine will be ultra sensitive to even the tiniest pieces of metal - on the other end of the spectrum if it's set too high you will lose sensitivity since the ground will become "too discriminated" costing you depth and some sensitivity. There are situations where either of these settings would work best depending on what you're hunting...but if you're after coins try to get the two numbers as close as possible.

Here's a video that explains it better than I can...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuANf3J3yg

Check out 3:25 onwards for GB techniques! Good luck and happy hunting!

Thanks CZ for the info and video, I will see if I can use them to cut back the chatter. Too used to a CTX that tracks and can't be manually GBed.

As far as the original question; is there a downside to notching the high numbers?

If you are asking if you will miss anything?you could miss silver halves and silver dollars if you notch out all the90"s.

As was mentioned, the Tracking mode is fine in relatively clean sites or sites that do not have ground conditions that change continuously like the wet sand regions on a salt water beach.

If you are hunting a site that is littered with targets - ferrous and / or non-ferrous - do not use the Tracking mode for GB'ing. The detector will be trying to track to both the ground as well as the targets and the end result is that you will find both your target ID accuracy and overall depth reduced. Since you have continuous ground mineralization displayed both in the numbers on the right side of the screen and the vertical bar on the right edge, you can see if an adjustment is needed . . . . a few numbers off will not hurt performance especially when compared to what is happening under the hood when you are in the Tracking mode. There is a reason that Tracking is not an option when the SALT BEACH option is selected.

When you say you are getting "pesky 90+ signals", are you talking about an occasional one-way response or are you digging targets and finding them to be trash? You can reject the 96+ range to eliminate some of the large iron that can hit in that region and if ground conditions are playing a role, try the GROUND NOTCH function to quiet things down.

Let us know if this information answered your question . . . . .

Hope this helps

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the response. I hit a site yesterday around an old county church that the CTX ran quietly on. The Deus was constantly showing numbers all over the 90s in a manner that would have been considered falsing on a CTX or 705. From the low auto sensitivity reading on the CTX I believe that ground conditions were the culprit.

As I mentioned I am too used to using Tracking with the two Minelabs. I will try the manual GB techniques suggested and quit relying on the Tracking.