Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any Explorer users regret purchasing the CTX3030?

It is a lot of money! I keep thinking about getting one, but then I think; What if I like my Explorer better? That would be a real drag and would be costly. I have heard on here that the Explorer is actually a little deeper than the CTX. I realize that the CTX has some advantages like being waterproof, faster, bells and whistles. I don't want to start any bashing or trouble.

I posted this here because I would like some responses from fellow Explorer users. Buyers remorse anyone?

Thanks - Robin

Robin,

I got one just a few days ago so take this with a grain of salt..... I first tried it out in my yard which I had hunted a million times with my XS and F-75. First signal I dug was a Buffalo nickel, and also got a wheat cent. Pretty rare to find anything here anymore so that was fairly impressive. But then I went to a favorite site of mine that has yielded hundreds of silver and IHs; when I first started detecting there I was barely able to stand up between signals. It had been detected before but I was the first to hit it with an Explorer. The place is littered with nails, I was hoping the CTX with it's faster response would make it come alive again. Well, three hours with the CTX and barely any signals, dug mainly trash that I didn't dig with my XS. And... I was hoping with the coil having some of the electronics it would behave better around power lines and let me run a higher sensitivity in urban areas, not looking that way thus far.

Now this is with the out of the box settings, I still have lots of experimenting to do. With my XS I went from recommended settings to open screen ferrous within a couple of weeks of getting it and never looked back. And it took years of use to learn the subtleties of is language.

So my gut feeling is that if you are competent with your explorer you are not missing much. I'm wondering if some of the people that saw a big difference were people that ran lots of discrimination on their older models; perhaps the faster response here helped them out.

Again, I'm hoping that as I learn more and play around I'll see different results, and there are enough features like water proof and balance that are certainly nice.

Hopefully have a few more days before freeze up. I will keep you updated.

Chris

Sorry for cutting in here but I just wanted to say I too was "On the Fence". I had decided that after switching from the Etrac to the Explorer that I was better with my Etrac. Now I sure hope that nobody thinks I am bashing the Explorer because I am not. I actually wish I could have "Clicked" better with my SE and XS because I like their sounds a little better than the Etrac but it just didn't work that way.

At that point I decided a new machine was gonna be in my hands but I wasn't sure which one?

So anyway there I was, do I go back to the machine that I was very proficient with or do I go for the Elure of the "Latest Greatest".

I even went as far as to order the Zagg screen protector for the Etrac before I was sure what I wanted!!

Its laying here on the table now and don't expect to see my Etrac till Wednesday!!

To be honest with you I was on that fence even when I was talking to place my order, now thats "On the Fence!!!" Well I ordered the Etrac.

I want to let the CTX "Season" a little more with everyone else then maybe I will give it a try.

Try and find someone local you could hook up with and give one a try. I think that if I ever do get the CTX it will difficult to give up the unmistakable "Warble sound" we have all come to love!

Robin I wish you the best with your decision and I hope you aren't struggling with it like I did.

I really liked getting a new machine and learning it. That was until I got the Explorer II. It puts me in the tough position of having one of, or the best detector! Dang I wish someone would come out with one that makes my Explorer II look like a (well, I won't say) low end machine.

I am taking it that you went with another machine recently and are now going back to the Etrac? I finally gave into the alure of the F75 LTD last year. Lost my shirt on that one. Dang the prices fell way down as soon as I bought mine. Then it took me half a year of detecting and wishing I was using the Explorer instead before I gave up on the F75 LTD. It was a good machine, but not like the Explorer II.

I bought another EII and modified my first one for better ballance. So I know what the better ballance is about. It is still heavy but not as bad.

I will most likely wait for a used CTX3070 Ultralight, or something like that. If it really beats up my EII.

Thanks again and HH - Robin

Being able to assign tones to, I guess they call them bins. I am thinking you could finally hunt in all metal conductive tones. That would be wonderful.

I have heard in posts on the CTX forum that the old spots are not really opening up much with the new machine. Sounds like it is better on nickels though.

I wached a few videos of the CTX in action. One showed iron and a good target. To me the good signal tone sounded really monotone and wide for a coin. I guess that would take some getting use to. I can imagine what a flattened bottle cap sounds like (a manhole cover?).

Chris, I hope you learn it and love the CTX! Please stop back in and post your progress. I am sure their are many Explorer users that would like to know.

Thanks for your reply!
HH - Robin

PS We got six inches of the white crap last night, here in lower MI.

Yes I have a new Etrac coming tommorrow from Bart. I am like you, I will wait a year or two and try the CTX then.

I think:spin:

I simply cannot afford the CTX .. I would have to part with my Explorer just to get the ball rolling. And I just will not ever sell it, even when I am broke.

I'm with Dave, CTX just not in the budget just yet. Minelab builds nice stuff so I'm sure it's worth it. I'm thinking Etrac if I do anything. My Explorer is doing just fine for me right now but would love the faster response of the Etrac. Like to think I still got a lot to learn with the Se. We'll see. Joe.

Since of the responses, only Chris actually has the CTX, I figure there are not too many Explorer users that got one and now regret it. I guess if I had dropped that much for a new machine, I would be spending at least a year giving it the fair chance.

Surfman and McDave, I could probably scrape together enough for a purchase after selling my spare EII and Excal 1000 (plus savings or win the lottery, steal...). But then there is still that nagging question; What if I like my Explorer better? For now I am not willing to take that risk. Maybe after a few generations or if ML ever "gets it", that light weight would be well received - then maybe. I'd still have to see how folks are doing with it.

Thanks to all who posted! HH - Robin

Robin, my hunting partner and I both have Excals. We live just a couple miles from the ocean. He just got his CTX on Tuesday, as his Explorer crapped out on him. He got a great deal on his. We're gonna see how much better the CTX is on the beach, if any, compared to my Excal this weekend. We're gonna do the dry, wet sand and get in the water up in the De. bay hopefully. He's a seasoned Excal user so we'll know real fast. I'll keep you posted on the results.

The only reason I would purchase a CTX is because it is water proof and that is all.
My wife used to work for an electronics company and they called the people who bought items as soon as they came out ( first adopters ) as they were the ones that found any design faults with the machines, so I would wait until any faults have been corrected.
It has taken ages to be proficient with the SE Pro and I would not like to start again with another machine until my SE gives up the ghost