Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any idea how or why this was tied this way?

Ronstar

During the hunt at the Grange Park (My first Franklin) I dug this at about 5-6”. It is bailing wire which appears to have been tied specifically this way for some purpose. I’m not versed enough in fencing to have any knowledgeable ideas and a couple of the cowboys around here are not really sure either. We will entertain any and all ideas!
And I know it looks like a stickman figure.....

Attachments

• 579645C3-E9AE-48C8-B8B5-B448F1C2D0C1.jpeg
    579645C3-E9AE-48C8-B8B5-B448F1C2D0C1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
Hey Ronstar... that's a pretty common way of tightening a strand of wire.... once a loop is secured, a steel rod, screw driver, the handle of a pair of pliers or any such thing is put through the two stands and wound around twisting the two strands around themselves and tightening the wire.... in this case it looks like the claw of a hammer was used, the hammer handle used as leverage to wind the wire and leaving the impression of the claw in the wire... could have been pliers, but off centered like that looks like a hammer claw was used. Try it yourself and see if you can duplicate it.

Steve, we discussed that but the tie is way too small (note the nickel for comparison). One additional theory is this may have been at a corner post (long thin loop end) where the line came back at an angle (short loop). Would have most likely taken pliers to get the tight wrap and ends do appear cut. Additionally, if it were a broken line then the loops should be opposite and not angled. It doesn’t show in the photo but you can see where it looks like rub marks from another wire (same size) was in each loop. This area is common for two wire twisted barbwire and loops are too small. Of course what one rancher does is not necessarily what the next does.......

Think we may have received an answer! When setting up a training fence (electric fence) often lanes are set up so the cows know what the wire means. Bailing wire often used to connect electric wire at corners where an insulator cant take that angle. A poor mans fix but it works and it was demonstrated to me too.