Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any Idea?

bradwheat777

Hi ya'll,

I have hunted this one yard and kept finding these and have no idea what they are. Don't know if they are some kind of button or some other clothing accessory. I have found around 30 in this yard and find a few each time I have hunted it. It's been a while since I have found these. Most of the them the stem is bent but a few are straight. I thought I would see if any of ya'll had an idea of what they are. Thanks and HH.

Bradwheat

V3i
AT Pro
Vaquero

I also have a yard that I have found several of those. They surround a large old house. I have been told they are a shingle tack or nail.

Hmm that's interesting, would never have thought of that, maybe at one point they re-roofed the house. It's in pretty bad shape now, it was a very nice 2 story. Most of these were found within 8ft of the perimeter of the house @ varying depths 2-6in. VDI'd in the 60's. Still haven't pulled any silver out of that yard yet :cry:

Hi Bradwheat777, I believe more likely they are "Tar Paper" ( black paper insulation) nails rather than used for shingles.. Man do they give sweet signals and are a real pain ! HH Charlie

Hey Charlie, yeah they do get your hopes up for sure. Just got to keep going back as I know there has to be silver there, just has to be! Thanks and HH.

Bradwheat

-- moved topic --

Those are storm anchors for asbestos shingles, used to prevent wind lift at the bottom edges of the shingles. they are not driven into the wood but used point up and bent over.

That's it taz. They get held by a strip of wood that's nailed higher. The blunt end comes up through a hole in the strip of wood. The shingle has a hole at the bottom and slips over the blunt end of the anchor. As you said, they get bent over. Today's shingles have a strip of asphalt on the underside of the shingle. When they warm from the sun, they adhere to the starter course or shingle below.

Thanks for clearing that up as I have found them also, around old home sites.

Much obliged on the info! HH!

They sound good and are a PITA but are better than digging a zinc penny....add them to your copper scrap for recycle.