Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ANY IDEAS?

Civil war era picket pin. Great find. CCH

Thanks for the info. Found some examples just like it online with longer spike. More support for the skirmish story at this site. We believe a Union infantry group got into it with the Missouri State Guard in early September of 1861. I will attach a couple of photos of other finds from the same day. Some of the finds I have posted on the E-trac forum. This is where we found the 1853 $20 gold piece two weeks ago. The gold piece was a bit beat up from farming over the years.

Wow that is an awesome find. Could we see some closeup pictures after you dusted it off ( or not). What machine were you using and what reading did you get from that coin? That's my dream find !

My partner found the $20 gold piece with his Tesoro Tejon. One edge was sticking out of the ground. It read a 12-41 on my E-trac. I found two gold coins at a Missouri State Guard camp we were hunting in April. They were an1845 $2 1/2 and an1853 $1. For some reason these early Missouri State Guard sites have gold. Neither one of us have found a gold coin in 30 plus years of hunting and then we find three in less than two months. That's what has caused us to research and pursue these sites. We are finding out that these camps and skirmish sites were all over our NW Missouri area.

I will attach the one photo I have of the $20 after a water rinse. You can see the farm damage.

I will also attach photos of the other two I found. They were really nice. Both were at the top of a crop terrarce about 2 inches deep. I found them on two separate days and they were a good 150 feet apart. The $2 1/2 read 11-22 and the $1 read 11-11 both with text book coin sounds on the E-trac.

Great finds DWild, especially the gold. If in fact your iron piece was used as a picket pin, it would have been the style that was blacksmith made (handmade) and driven into wagons (some were used to hold handled tools; axes, hatchets, etc., or driven into trees. Most likely one of those choices as the ring would have been circular initially. I have found the smaller "pigtail" examples (found in Frances Lord's book) in CS cavalry camps. Picket pins, although variable in type, were long, heavy pins that were driven into the ground. Even a pony would pull out anything less.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Nice!!!