Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any info on how to set up Omega 8000 for parks:help:

oldbob55

just got the Omega 8000 would like to know how too set it for old parks any info would help

HH all

Thanks
Bob

Well if your wanting to find coins and jewelry set your disc around 20 and dig all good repeatable signals, if just coins I set my disc at max (or just under zinc if I want to dig zinc pennies) and notch in nickles (might depend on the amount of pull tabs) set your sensitivity as high as possible and use the ground grab to set your ground balance. Hope this helps, Jimmie

For most people, you would set the functions similar to how you have in the past. Of course, you qualified it a bit in your question about hunting in older parks. It would still be a similar answer because you need to use similar operator skills and patience, not just certain detector settings.

If you are specifying 'park hunting ' and 'old park hunting,' it suggests to me that you're basically just 'coin hunting' and, perhaps, trying to find older coins in the older parks. So, I can tell you, there is no real magic to achieving success. It simply involves learning and knowing your detector, making a proper search coil choice for the site, using the best settings possible to achieve the best success, and in the end there are two more important considerations for best achievement:

1.. Site Selection

2.. Operator Patience

Certainly there are some sub-topics in these two main ingredients, but they are always there, regardless of the type of site we hunt. An old park or school, old recreation or gathering site, homestead or ghost towns, or any other site where be feel there is a potential to find the older coins or other older period objects. For example:

Site Selection: Knowing or learning the actual date of activity at a site. Determining if there has been noteable reshaping or altering of the site that could impair success. Isolating the best portions of a site to hunt, which could mean fringe areas that have been overgrown with brush, or an out-of-the-way area that might not get frequent detecting through the years. One important attempt I make, when trying to work such an older site, is to mark off a dedicated area so I can concentrate on cleaning it out.

Operator Patience: Being able to best deal with with brush, or working a site more slowly while overlapping very efficiently. Being tolerant with the recovery of all targets, good and bad, in order to get rid of the surface/shallower masking trash. Listening for an audio target response while ignoring inconsistent or jumpy Target ID or VDI readings caused my masking, a target that is too deep, canted, or of a mixed metal and shape such as an old small toy car.

Oh, as for the Omega, that's easy to explain. At least it is if others like the suggestions offered, but I can tell you that you want to use the best possible setting with the least confusion. My suggestion is to use any search coil, but I prefer a smaller size coil in the trashier sites, to both 'cherry-pick' good coins that are detectable in the trash, but mainly to easily isolate ALL targets to pinpoint and recover them. The 5" DD coil gets very ample depth of detection, pinpoints well, and that lets me thin out trash quickly. Larger coils can encounter multiple targets more easily on a sweep due to the coil size and this can slow target isolation in heavily littered sites.

I always use the highest Sensitivity level I can use at any site. I get right to the point of instability, or maximum if things are stable. This is hunting in the Discriminate mode so I personally like to set the Omega (or Gamma or Delta or T2 ) at their minimum Discriminate level. The only option left with the Omega, or Gamma or T2, is to chose the Audio Tone ID. This is where some people can get less performance by trying to hunt with multiple Tone ID when looking for deeper, weaker, canted, or masked targets.

With the Omega or Gamma I opt for the d2 Tone ID, and 2+ with the T2. This lets me/anyone get better depth of detection, better target audio signature, and it will suggest the target might be iron. Iron will usually cause more masking than non-iron due to the effect it has on an electromagnetic field. If I want to clean an area out in order to remove making targets to find hidden older coins, I want to know about that nasty iron.

The Omega is a very good detector. There are a lot of good detectors on the market today and the more successful operators are the detectorists who learn and master their detector, then use proper technique and patience to get the best rewards when using it.

The stock coil on the Omega is one that I do like for general-use detecting, and covering more open, sparse-target sites. I've used it successfully whe hunting older parks, or other early-era sites, but it just takes operator knowledge and patience for best success.

Enjoy your Omega, and if you don't have a smaller coils, consider getting the 5" DD. Think about what the Omega offers you that is different from those you have used in the past, then get the best out of it. If you're only wanting to hunt any park and only recover any coins and very little trash, just use a higher discriminate level or notch, pay attention to a lock-on TID or VDI and enjoy your hunt. But if you are asking about working older parks, seeking older coins that might be deeper and/or masked, follow the above suggestion to clean the site and get it all.

Monte

Thanks Monte and digginLa for all the help will be going out this weekend just got a Garrett propointer to go with me

Bob:twodetecting:

oldbob55 said:
just got the Omega 8000 would like to know how too set it for old parks any info would help

HH all

Thanks
Bob
Just send it to me and I will set it up!........HE HE

Great post Monte! I just got back from a thorough test run with my new Omega, and I have to say it is a different "animal" than what I am used to. I was using the stock 10" concentric coil today. The shape of the coil works very well around cactus, rocks and other type of scrub. I also have the 11" DD & 5"DD coil in my arsenal along with my G2, but have not yet given them a run yet with the Omega. Found some type of copper, or who knows what kinda of metal, large mens ring...It an'it gold, a key, two tokens, 3 clad dimes & 2 zincs...But beginning to like this unit. I was able to run the sensitivity at about 75-80...Just depended on when it would start chattering. Ground balance is minimal worry, soil very nice.

cowtownkid