Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any info on the Whites-Teknetics chip court trial..

Dan-Pa.

Anyone have any info on the above..Understand Teknrtics won and 89 eagle was deeper and 90 did not have the chip because of this trial...

Dan-Pa. said:
Anyone have any info on the above..Understand Teknrtics won and 89 eagle was deeper and 90 did not have the chip because of this trial...

It wasn't about a particular chip, it was about a circuit topology. The answer to your question is probably here: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?56,2397594

I had a 89 Eagle and sold it, then I missed it and got a Eagle 90. I always though the 89 was better. Now I know the rest of the story. I wish I had the 89 back. Can you get the chip put in the 90?

I beg to differ 89 had the chip and 90 did not as it lost the rights to use it as Teknetics was the winner in a court trial...as far as a tab-gold ring and nickle each making a different sound was probably done with smoke and mirrors kind of thing or it would have a patent and today all detectors would have the technology..Seems logical don't you think.....doubt if 90 could have a chip added......to complete my post.....

https://www.leagle.com/decision/1984745677p2d681735

It wasn't about "the chip", it was about the circuit. Neither Payne or White's has any IP rights to any "chips".

Not being a techie this was explained to me by a knowledgeable Whites dealer that's been around forever. Whether a circuit is run by a resistor, CHIP or thig a ma jig have no knowledge but I do know 90 version was without a chip that the 89 had...whatever happened to the tab, gold ring and nickle that sounded different ?

Dan-Pa. said:
...whatever happened to the tab, gold ring and nickle that sounded different ?

Dan, my post and link (that Dave linked) was about an earlier court case. The link I'd given in my post, was from 1981-ish. I do not know of any Tek vs Whites legal issues later in 1989 to '90.

As for your question of "tab, gold ring, and nickel" sounding different: There is no "smoke and mirrors" here. ANY TID machine of any brand can do this. You can easily find a tab, a gold ring, and a nickel that .... when waved in front of a tone-ID machine, will each give a DIFFERENT sound . Since they hit at different places on the TID scale.

But that will do you nearly no good at all in field conditions. Ie.: you're not going to dig gold rings till your arms fall off, while effortlessly leaving junk and tabs and nickels behind. In other words, you will STILL dig a lot of junk. And you will STILL miss some gold rings, when electing to pass or dig various TID's.

The only thing that 3 objects at a table demonstration prove, is that *just* those 3 objects read at *just* those 3 sounds. It doesn't mean that all junk (tabs) therefore read/sound exactly like that. And that all gold rings (gold) read/sound exactly like that, etc....

I have a copy of the Whites vs Tek Inc lawsuit, and DaveJ (Dave Johnson, Chief Engineer of Fisher) is correct. The case was wpm by the defendants as George Payne kept very good records on his work, and further more he was hired that second time as a consultant and not as an employee. There is nothing in it in regard to any chips. If any chips are not there, there has to be another story in that regard.
Melbeta