Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any new racer drivers that used to drive AT Pro?

Boothbay

I'm curious as to the Racer stacks to the AT pro, especially with the Garrett 5x 8 which seems to separate quite well . Garrett also has the sniper coil.

Both machines are not far off in price so is anyone selling a pro to keep the Racer? I guess the real question is it worth the investment if you now have a Pro?

Thanks for your response.

I had the AT Pro. I liked my AT Pro, but it rarely outhunted my F75, so I traded it off just before I got my Racer.

By all accounts that Garrett sniper coil is a terrible coil as far as depth goes, but the 5x8 is supposed to do quite will in iron.

As far as getting a Racer over an ATP, I guess it depends on what you want out of the machine. the Racer is better engenieered - large easy to read screen, multi-use trigger for pinpoing/GB/light etc., backlight, solid rods (no wobble like my ATP had).

Would be interesting to see some head to head tests with the two machines, but if I could only pick one, it would be an easy choice :thumbup:

Respectively speaking, the Turkish machines have shown the world what separation really is. It doesn't matter what machine or cost. The small coil is on another world good, you have to run one for a little while to see.

and I can use any of my preferred, higher-quality headphones without having to buy an adapter, and it isn't top-heavy. Plus the sleek appearance and crimson color looks a lot more attractive than the 'basic black' look so it keeps the babe's eyes on the detector and not me when I am hunting a beach. :rofl:

No doubt about it, if I were to pick between the two there is no comparison when it comes to looks, coil selection and performance. That's why I have two Racer's, and I didn't buy the AT Pro a dealer friend loaned me to do some evaluation with before. It didn't match what I got from my former #1 All-Purpose detector, and it doesn't nudge the ones in that spot today, either.

Monte

Monte said:
and I can use any of my preferred, higher-quality headphones without having to buy an adapter, and it isn't top-heavy. Plus the sleek appearance and crimson color looks a lot more attractive than the 'basic black' look so it keeps the babe's eyes on the detector and not me when I am hunting a beach. :rofl:

Monte

:rofl:
And if you get water in the box the babes will be watching you crying and screaming like a 7 year old girl :rofl::rofl:

Besides, those with a so-called waterproof detector who get water in their controls cry like a 4 your old sissy. :heh:

I hate showers, and prefer to soak in a hot bath. Other than that, rain means it's a good time to stay in and do something enjoyable. Beach water is for the gals to splash around in and for me to take a detecting break.

Monte

I like the racer much better than the at pro I had. However i picked up a used at gold this spring for water hunting.

Besides, those with a so-called waterproof detector who get water in their controls cry like a 4 your old sissy. :heh:

I hate showers, and prefer to soak in a hot bath. Other than that, rain means it's a good time to stay in and do something enjoyable. Beach water is for the gals to splash around in and for me to take a detecting break.

Monte

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monte I agree with you 100%..I don't care for water detecting..and I do not detect in the rain.............. Sleet , or snow..................:rofl:

I like to have a water detector around as my parents live at a lake and you never know what could fall in......but I have a 1280x for that.....

I had the AT pro with water phones, small and big coil. Loved that machine. Found alot of cool jewelry on land and water. I missed it that much I just purchased an AT gold to try out.
I love my racer but am sorting out EMI issues atm. Its one of the old coils. I'm hoping a new coil will fix my problem. Can't run gain past 39 no matter where I hunt. Beach mode will let me run gain at 99. All other modes won't run past 39 gain. Target response is pretty damn quick. Hits hard on small gold too. Loving that. Once I sort out the overload issue from start up I will be happy as I know how much potential the racer has.

I think it depends on what you're used to using. Having been an AT Pro user for 4 years I know what to expect out of one an AT Pro. I have now used the Racer 2 for maybe 10 hours or so. I can say I miss the stability of the AT Pro. The Racer reminds me of the Fisher/Omega style detectors. They are noisy. The Racer 2 can be quieted down but it takes work or turning the gain way down.

One of the sites I hunt has an electric fence that I never noticed until I took my Racer 2 there. No matter what I tried it still had the pop every two seconds. I tried all frequencies and finally turned the gain down to around 40 and it wasn't too bad then. I also have the have the OOR coil it doesn't seem to be as bad.

All in all I'd say for me and my type of hunting I could go either AT Pro or Racer 2. I thought both handled well and was easy to swing. I did like the 5x8 better than the OOR but then I do more tot lotting than relic hunting trashy sites.

Yea thanks digfella I knew that was the case so I have ordered the mars D sniper 10 by 6 coil. Can't wait to try that little beauty out. Will flog the stock coil down thw beach can't send it back long story.