Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

any one in west central wi using a omega or gamma

Missus is Thinking of getting one and we would like to see hold maybe use one. Looking at it for purely a coin machine. Right now she runs an idx pro but likes the display of the greek series. We have read every thing we can find on them and bout all we could find against them was emi an chatty? This machine pretty easy to use? She doesn't want compicated. I know nothing bout these as I've always used whites. She's mainly interested in the omega. Any tips or pointers would be great thanks.

The Omega is super easy to set up and gb (my favorite way to set it up for coin hunting is set the disc just below zinc then notch in nickels, you'll still get some tabs and the usual things that can trick most everybody's detector like bottle caps but its not that bad), however, like you said it tends to be prone to EMI problems. The good news is where you hunt that might not be as big of an issue as the places I hunt, I know others have posted about the high sensitivity settings they are able to use I think it's just going to depend on where each person hunts.

Both are easy to use.

I prefer the added display info of the Omega, but I prefer the more solid control housing mounting of the Gamma.

Both are very close to the same in performance.

I like both the 5

Thank you for your response it can be hard to try and make a decision on a new machine when we have never gotten to hold one. I sure do appreciate everyone on heres knowledge. Thanks for the setting tips as well is it tricky to manual gb? I seen a vid on the auto gb function if you will and it looked easy enough. Do you have to reenter your settings every time you turn the machine on?

I wonder in all the multitude of coil combo offers why the 8 in is not offered with the omega? i looked and seen it can come with up to 3 coil choices. is it only nosier than the gamma when sens is turned up or is just plain nosier no matter what? I know i ask a lot of questions but i don't want to be the guy on here in couple months venting how much sarah and don't like this new machine and are looking for the new next best thing. We haven't looked at the gamma much is the displays fairly similar or they two totally different things? I have also read that a 'nel' coil is supposed to help these run quieter? I'm not even sure what one of those is lol. I had been looking into to the 3 coil pack seems for the price it's the better way to go has better resale value just in case and it's easier to get all at once for a good price than paying so much to buy each coil separate. wonder if you can get it with the 10 in 8 in and 5 in coils? Can it be noisy enough that if your used to a idx pro you will end up wanting to not use it? all tone choices you mentioned are intriguing. we have never used any tones or iorn id before.

I use the Gamma with the nels sharpshooter coil and prefer it over the 8 inch coil. The 8 inch coil is easy to pinpoint with, but the nels is a bit easier for me. Stabitity wise I can tell no difference, separation seems to favor the nels. This is a surprise to me. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Omega or Gamma.

cal said:
I use the Gamma with the nels sharpshooter coil and prefer it over the 8 inch coil. The 8 inch coil is easy to pinpoint with, but the nels is a bit easier for me. Stabitity wise I can tell no difference, separation seems to favor the nels. This is a surprise to me. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Omega or Gamma.

Thank you for your reply. Where do you can you find more info on these nel coils. is there a dealer on line or a company website? is the factory 3 coil pack a good thing to look into or can a person live with out one of the larger two.? we would like the 5 in as we are both believers in having a smaller coil. farmer

farmerboy856 said:
I wonder in all the multitude of coil combo offers why the 8 in is not offered with the omega?
They had the 5

farmerboy856 said:

cal said:
I will agree with 'cal' about the Gamma and Omega. They are both very similar in adjustments and field performance and either can be a good choice for typical coin hunting needs. I also agree about the 8" coil being easier to pinpoint with. It is a round concentric design, and even though a person can work on their skills to master a Double-D coil, the Concentrics are going to pinpoint easier and faster. As for "separation," that is a matter of opinion we form based upon the site we hunt, the spacing of targets we are encountering, the level of Discrimination used, and whether the targets are accepted or rejected. Personally, I favor a Concentric of proper size to handle the conditions.

farmerboy856 said:
Thank you for your reply. Where do you can you find more info on these nel coils. is there a dealer on line or a company website?
Not many dealers for those foreign-made coils. As a caution, I think it would be good to also check on the warranty that is provided with the purchase of a NEL coil. It also seems like a lot of folks buy the aftermarket coils thinking in terms of 'depth' which is fine, but if you hunt trashy sites, depth isn't attainable unless you first recover the shallower targets that can mask deeper finds. Also, if 'depth' is important, I would still prefer a larger size Concentric to larger-size Double-D of similar size because, as a proven fact, Concentric coils can get a little better depth than a Double-D, and also Discriminate better.

farmerboy856 said:
is the factory 3 coil pack a good thing to look into or can a person live with out one of the larger two.? we would like the 5 in as we are both believers in having a smaller coil.
I can easily live without a larger size coil, especially the one with the Omega package. I know when I bought my first Omega package I got a good deal, then sold the 11" BiAxial coil and that made my initial investment even better. :)

farmerboy856 said:
Thank you for your response it can be hard to try and make a decision on a new machine when we have never gotten to hold one.
That is true, and it makes it equally difficult to purchase an after-market coil without first having one available to check out with a local dealer.

farmerboy856 said:
Thanks for the setting tips as well is it tricky to manual gb? I seen a vid on the auto gb function if you will and it looked easy enough.
The Ground Grab is a very quick and efficient Ground Balance method, and manual GB isn't a problem, either, as long as someone understand how to Ground Balance.

farmerboy856 said:
Do you have to reenter your settings every time you turn the machine on?
Yes, unlike some detector models, like my White's MX5, turn-on requires you to make the necessary settings choice from site-to-site. No memory. Still, the Gamma and Omega are not time consuming to get adjusted and start detecting. Only a few moments.

Monte

Farmerboy, I got my nels coil from a vender in New Jersey( found on Dick Stouts blog). The warranty is 2 years and they do make a 5inch coil. All of the coils seem to be DD's including the 5 inch. I would prefer a 7 inch concentric for most of my hunting, but that seems to be obsolete now days. I do like the sharp shooter coil and do not want a coil any bigger especially in a DD configuration. This coil seems to fit the Gamma like a glove and is well balanced. I used a 6x10 on my M6 and it did ok, but was not well balanced. The 5.3 is the key to that machine. JMO Cal

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice we did end up choosing a detector ended up going with m6 but if anyone sees this in the future and has a tek omega or t2 in the mid western wi area that wouldn't mind letting us check one out that would be great! probably wont be buying one anymore this year but still very interested. As a side note i really enjoy the people on the tek forum and will continue to follow it everyone was very friendly and helpful! Main reason we went with other brand was we couldn't find anyone dealer or otherwise that had a omega anywheres nearby to at least hold and check out. Anyways thanks again everyone!