Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any one tried the SEF 10x12 on the 75 LTD

I haven't tried it Roy but I'm sure thinking about it.....hh......Dan

Mechanics:
It fit loosely on the shaft and the nylon bolt could not be tightened enough to steady it from up/down motion. It did not rattle or flop, side-to side though. The coil connector on the coil had a loose strain relief. The plug did fit the control housing just fine with no wobble.

Operational Attributes: (Test unit F70 at factory presets, and with adjusted optimal settings for test site)
Ground Balance: Good: Did fine with the Fast Grab procedure for the F70. Gave nearly identical GB settings as F70 with 11" DD coil. This would seem to indicate a properly tuned coil.

Target ID: Very Poor. Using random in-situ targets undug and unknown, compared to 11" DD coil. Also terrible with known targets using air test method with coin(s) on surface compared to 11" DD coil. The unit could not lock in a target range for either condition when using the SEF coil. This makes target identification impossible and does not aid in dig/no dig decision process.

Target Pinpoint: Good. Did indicate targets at point along center axis to the rear of shaft connection assembly for both known and unknown targets.

Target Depth. Very Poor: When using this 15 X 12 SEF coil, not only was there no gain in depth, there was loss of depth on some marginal targets when compared to the 11" DD coil.

Conclusion: The 15 X 12 SEF coil performed poorly. No consistent or useful target info on any tested targets. Only one of ten targets came close to proper ID, a piece of shredded aluminum, or can slaw at 4" which read just above nickel range consistently. Less depth on some unknown in-situ targets resulting in no target information. Targets under 3" did not read proper depth, the depth read remained at 3" for all coin-sized targets between 3" and surface.

All in-situ targets remained undug until after both the 15 X 12 SEF and 11" DD coils were used on the same machine. Coil passes over each target with each coil were done from multiple sides and angles. Using the 11" DD coil first, targets were estimated based on id and depth values from the first pass. Targets were accurately identified using the 11" DD coil and depth was established when targets were actually dug.

Still gotta give it a workout in some non-trashy ground but air tests as well indicate it does not go any deeper, if as deep, as the 11" DD coil.

well done test
very thorough investigation thanks :clapping:

AND some arm discomfort!!----Either one of those SEF coils is considerably heavier than the stock coil--don't think that factor was mentioned in the discussion here.---------Del

Thanks for the review on the SEF coil. I was hot to get one, but after further investigation I think I'll hold off.

It's a shame they don't appear to be that good on the F75, as aside from the added weight, they get glowing reports on the Explorers :shrug:

Had it out Saturday and went to several sites doing comparisons again. Last coin I dug of the day convinced me. The big coil could not see the coin, it was an early wheat at 10" and the 11" DD coil got it with certainty. Sense was max, I was moving thresh between 0 and 5 as ground would permit.

Then again my reason for getting this huge SEF coil was I had not dug a coin deeper than 8" with the F70 using the 11" DD coil. Well that point was muted and the F70 vindicated itself to me. Now I just have to get over some more coins in decent ground with the standard rigging.