Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

any prism v users here?

I recently got back into MD'ing and got myself a used White's IDX Pro, which has been working good for me. The wife wanted a detector of her own and I found a nearly new Prizm III which I got her. I checked out the Prizm III and like it a lot. It has a depth indicator which the IDX does not. I did not feel the added features of the IV and V were necessary for our needs.

The IDX already has the 9.5 inch coil. The Prizm III's standard coil is 8 inches. The smaller coil may actually be an advantage in trashy areas but I haven't really run into that yet.

A friend of mine has had a DFX for a while, which we borrowed for several days when we went on a trip. I found the DFX to be a bit too much to deal with right now, and besides seemed heavier and clumsier to swing. But I found some stuff with it and that's what made me want to get my own unit, and then later the Prizm for the wife.

The IDX is pretty good on weight and balance, but the Prizm is really nice and light (I have recurring elbow problems).

Hope this helps. Both the IDX and the Prizm III have been successfully grabbing coins and trinkets from local parks. We may upgrade later on, but for now these detectors work well enough to keep our interest in detecting alive.

- Bill

Jim, All of the Prizms are built on the same electronic platform.... The difference is the added features... III's sell the best, then V's. The III is basically all you need if you want a turn on an go machine but you may like notch and tone ID on the other machines. Prizms are well built and do exceptionally well with the 8" coil with a gain of an inch or so with the
950. Hope this helps... Richardntn

i have a dfx,great detector but most people don't want to spend that kind of money to get into the hobby so when they ask me which one they should get i kinda like to have a informed opinion.the feature every body likes about the high end detectors is the tone id which only the 4 and the 5 have.thanks for your opinion.