Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

any reports on wireless for Racer 2?

... and it is the same as I reported from the beginning, the 2.4 Gig. wireless headphones are working very well. I have used them on both my Racer 2 and Gold Racer, but opted to leave the dongle in my Racer 2 because I use that model most often.

While the Racer 2 is my main pick from my arsenal for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting, it also gets grabbed quite often for some of the brushy old gold mining town sites we hunt. In a couple of them, a lot of the sage brush stands taller than our 6 foot height and often there are very confined spaces to hunt in. They work great and prevent a standard headphone cord from catching on the brush.

No lag time, and a clear enough audio for me to enjoy, and I can be rather picky at times.

Monte

I have only had a few short hunts with them, there is no lag, they are light weight and very comfortable. The audio is ok, but if you were somewhere busy and the ambient noise was loud, then they might not be the best, I much prefer the audio on my chefphones (unfortunately they are out of action).

My only concern is how long the ear padding itself will last and if replacements are available and at what price.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase and they will be very comfortable in the hot Aussie summer.

That is correct, and you are just headed into Spring and then Summer now in :ausflag: as we are going into Fall and Winter up here in the :usaflag: We had some terribly hot days that kept me from hunting, but I did put mine to work during our summer heat and they are much more comfortable and cooler than the tank-style corded headphones I usually use.

Enjoy them, and best of success on your hunts!

Monte

for the users that have reported.....

are they 'over-ear ' or 'on-ear' ?????

the first reporter had issues with the cup size, ie not fitting 'over' his ears.....

so, how do they fit?

horikindaguy said:
for the users that have reported.....

are they 'over-ear ' or 'on-ear' ?????

the first reporter had issues with the cup size, ie not fitting 'over' his ears.....

so, how do they fit?
Ever since I started using detectors, some of which only used headphones as they didn't have a built-in speaker, it seems like headphone size, fit, feel and comfort has been a topic amongst hobbyists. It continues today as well, and for several logical and practical reasons. Amongst us all we have different sizes of heads, different amounts and thicknesses of hair on our heads, different sizes and shapes of ears, different levels of hearing abilities or impairments, ... and then we add to that we all have little things we like or little things that tend to annoy us.

Let me share my conditions, likes and dislikes, and what I think of these headphones as I describe them.

To me I have an 'average' size head, if there is such a thing. I never really had 'thick' hair, when I had much hair, and the bulk of my life since before I turned twenty I usually cut my hair short, very short, about two or three times a month. I wish I were bald, so I don't have problems from 'big' or 'thick' hair. I don't think I have big ears, but my ears seem to stand out from my head more instead of lay back flatter on my head, and that means many over-the-ear types of bigger headphones can actually feel uncomfortable to me. Even the Killer B 'Wasps' or similar SunRay Pro Gold headphones seem to hurt my ears after hunting for a short while. I have long preferred the "tank" style bigger ear cup as used on the White's Pro Star and my favorite, the Killer B 'Hornet', as they have a more comfortable feel and fit and don't cause discomfort.

I use headphones almost all the time and I do not like most headphones that use a lower impedance speaker, such as an 8 ohm or 16 ohm. It has been so-so with most 32 ohm speakered headphones, the majority of them not appealing to me. I can't stand the dinky in-the-ear type ear buds, and I usually don't care for the smaller-size headphones that are just barely larger such as the Koss light-weights that come with a Racer 2 Pro Package.

I have very impaired hearing, and even the hearing testers at Hill Field Air Force base called me deaf back in '82 thru '87 when I took on some summer hire employment. The ear surgeon who treated my for a ruptured ear drum and the scar tissue that formed on recovery from an on-the-job injury in 2010 also described my lack of hearing the same, and loss of hearing to require a hearing aid due to the injury. Therefore, I get very picky when it coms to headphone selection and rely mainly on my Killer B 'Hornet' and Pro Star headphones when I use any corded device.

The Makro 2.4 Gig. wireless headphones have a very comfortable 'fit' and 'feel' to me. Snug enough to stay in place when moving my head around of bending it to look down, yet light enough to not be an annoyance. The ear cups are not the over-the-ear style, but they are not the dinky little foam-like pads found on most light-weight headphones. The are soft and comfortable, more-or-less cover the ear without surrounding it to enclose the ear while snugging on the head. Better yet, I have found the audio quality and clarity to be very good, and while not like my corded headphones, they are still very enjoyable to wear and to listen to. I use them with my Racer 2 about 90% of the time.

I like them so much I wish I had a second dongle so I could keep one in my Gold Racer as well and not have to transfer it back-and-forth, especially since I usually grab a Gold Racer during hunts in the hotter summer weather and these headphones are quite comfortable to wear on those hotter weather days.

Monte

It would be nice to have the dongle available separately as I have two Racer 2's and the Gold Racer. That way I could dongle all three and only have to have one set of headphones. Most times, I like to set the Racers up with different coils and take them both with me. Then just switch detectors when needed, rather than changing out coils.

"The ear cups are NOT the over-the-ear style, but they are not the dinky little foam-like pads found on most light-weight headphones. The are soft and comfortable, more-or-less cover the ear without surrounding it to enclose the ear while snugging on the head."

thanks Monte, that statement was what I was wanting/expected....

sounds like they're about the same size as the Deteknix wireless phones....and same basic technology as Deteknix uses also I would imagine....

Now if I could only find a dealer that has the headphones in stock. I tried one dealer those web site showed stock but after I ordered they refunded my money because they didn't have any.

To get a 2nd set of the wireless headphones and keep the main headset as back-up, but put the dongle in my Gold Racer. That will make it more convenient and not require 'dongle swapping.'

Monte

I could buy a second set but first I need to find a first set to buy. Hate to buy a second set to have it just sit there with my other 15 sets of backup headphones.

On my ears, and I always thought I had big ears, they are "over the ear". It really just depends on the size of your ears. If yours are big, they may be on the ear instead of over.

The inside measurements are 1.5" wide by 2" high so you should be able to determine if they will be on or over ear for you with those measurements.

How about standing up (durability) to the environment and rough handling?

Thanks,

TC-NM

TC-NM said:
How about standing up (durability) to the environment and rough handling?

Thanks,

TC-NM
Mine are very durable and working well. I keep the dongle in my Racer 2 w/smaller coil because it is used the most, so I use the wireless headphones with the Racer 2 now and seldom my wired headphones. The problem I have in answering your question is that I try not to "rough handle" any of my detectors or detecting gear. My screwdriver and Lesche Digger get dirty buy are easily cleaned off, and my Makro and Nokta Pinpointers also get a little dirty, but I pamper them and clean them after a detecting jaunt.

I prefer not to hunt in the rain so my gear, and I, stay dry. I use my detector and pinpointer with my clean right hand, and all my recovery efforts I do left-handed, so my detector, pinpointer and headphones seldom get rough treatment, get muddy, or get dirty. I have been using my Racer 2 w/7X11 DD coil all month and only the wireless headphones as well. It has been mostly urban Coin Hunting so my headphones were not going to get hung-up in any Relic Hunting site's dense brush and weeds and 6'-7' sagebrush, so they have survived another month of detecting, w/o problems and w/o rough treatment, but day-to-day treatment and use shows no problems, and they are working well.

Monte