Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any Sierra Madre User's On This Site.

I guess I should have said why...I have permission to hunt on land in upstate New York,80 acres,that the general public and the military travel across from the French & Indian Wars up until the war of 1812. Will this machine ignore small surface trash,let's say up to 6-10 inches.

bustercrab said:
I guess I should have said why...I have permission to hunt on land in upstate New York,80 acres,that the general public and the military travel across from the French & Indian Wars up until the war of 1812.
[size=large]... Now, that sounds like you have a lot of potential at that site. has that 80 acres ever been plowed? I've hunted those types of sites and, depending upon the amount of deposition from trees and other vegetation, as well as other 'activity' at the site, such as plowing or erosion, to name two, good targets might be located anywhere from surface to perhaps a foot or so.[/size]

bustercrab said:
Will this machine ignore small surface trash,let's say up to 6-10 inches.
[size=large]... With regard to the Sierra Madre, NO, it will not ignore small surface trash because the Sierra Madre is a non-discriminating, all metal detector. Besides, even if a detector with discrimination is adjusted to reject small, shallow "trash" (from surface to 3" perhaps) circuitry dynamics, combined with target size, shape, position, depth, and other variables can cause a particular target to 'read' as if it was a higher-conductive target, or a lesser-conductive target. Most discriminating detectors do not handle the task of ignoring unwanted targets at 6"-10" very well at all.

Some of the better White's models for dealing with trash and getting good overall depth would be the 5900/6000 Di Pro SL models, or the newer 6000 Pro XL/renamed XL Pro,

Monte
[/size]

No,the land has never been plowed and the house that is on the property now,was once a stage stop,pub and overnight quarters dating to the early 1700's..The house is still in use as a private resident and is on the New York State of Register's Sites.

The land [ 120 acres ] adjoining this property plus the 80 acres saw heavy military use plus the countless civilian's and native american's who traveled across this property for the past 300 plus years,there just might be something worth finding.

Not until next summer will I be able to hunt this land..I was on my way home from a family reunion and noticed this old house,so I drove up to the house,knocked on the door,introduced myself and asked if it would be possible to hunt the land.

I am not afraid to knock on a door..95% of the time I get turned down,but then again,look what happen....Now the bad news,everything I find goes to the landowners,take it or leave it he says...I will be ready by next summer....

Looks like the place to find many interesting items..
Every thing you find goes to the landowners..Why bother :detecting: if you can't get to keep some of your finds..
I think 50\50 would be a better option..

By him saying no to me keeping anything,maybe he wanted to find out if I was just into it for myself instead of the history that surrounds this place.What ever his reason's,it's his business.The Hudson river is about 30 miles away and the Dutch settled this area in the mid 1500's,then came the French,English,Spanish all fighting each other over land 200 years before this property was claimed.

I will be there next summer for 3 weeks with my three best detectors,the first Bandido,the first Sovereign and the 6000 XL Pro.Where are the 200 year old trash pits and privies that were on this property and what kind of treasure's do they hold.Fort Ticonderoga is north of here and Whitehall { The Birth Place Of The United States Navy } just south of here.

If anything of importance or value is found,the property owner will show it to his friend and then they will think,what the hell is buried on my land.Then they will come to me asking if I would search thier property,then I will say.....50/50....I got my foot in the door and I hope lady luck shines on me...

Howdy bustercrab

It sounds like a nice old sight to make some eye popping finds at. Your equipment list sounds impressive also.The only other piece of equipment needed, would be a good quality digital camera to document your historic finds.I would not think twice about makeing a similar deal with a land owner, because an opertunity like the one you have happens very rarely for me.Good luck on your "new sight" and go for it!!!!! Have a good'n................Hombre