Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any silver-smiths out there...

A

Anonymous

That have any suggestions on what creative things I could do with a small pile of scrap sterling silver I have accumulated over the years?
On my scales this pile weighs just over 3 pounds.I have thought of melting it down and casting it into something I could display.Anyone have any experience doing this sort of thing?Is it doable in a home workshop?What kind of equipment would I need to attempt such a project?I have a fairly large workshop complete with cutting torches and am not afraid to try anything once.....What do you think?Any suggestions?

It is not all that difficult to do. Use common sense and for your first things, make them smooth. My first casting was a dolphin [I will post a picture tomorrow]
I would recommend a small book called 'The handbook of Lost wax or investment casting' by James E Sopcak. It is very inexpensive [less than $5.00], tells you how to build your own extruders, burn out ovens, pressure caster, how to invest wax patterns, how to burn out and cast. A really good little book
THE ISBN NUMBER IS 0-935182-28-4 and the book is published by Gem Guides Book Company in Baldwin park, Ca.
Any questions, do not hesitate to email or ask here.
All the best
Sunny skies
M

Hey Dan,
Here are a couple of links you might find interesting.
Don Norris is a pretty down to earth kind of guy, not trying to sell his Silversmith courses. On the first link below check out the

I have had an interest in this sort of thing for a while.I will get the book and see what I can do.Thanks again.

I was down in Cuba last fall and found a fellow selling "Bird Sculptures" made out of old silver spoons, cut up and twisted together. Really nice work. I got one for my mom as a souvenir. The "bowls" of the spoons made the body and the handles flared out to make the tail feathers...