Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any Southern California beach hunters out there with advice?

kammerer1

I'll be taking a break this weekend from my normal relic hunting out on the desert of Nevada, and hitting the beaches of Southern California. Mainly Laguna Beach /San Clemente area. Anyone out there care to offer advice of where to go, and possibly where to avoid?
Cheers!

Well, either there's no southern California beach hunters here or Noone wants to share their secret spots. Lol. That's cool. Maybe I'll see ya out there! Hit San Clemente early this morning, beach was very clean! Found 47 cents in clad and watched a beautiful sunrise.

Yes. California does not have any beaches that produce well at the moment...at least none that I know of.

If I knew anything about that area I'd chime in. Let me tell you what I see from the picture...a flat beach with soft sand. That equals didly squat usually. You gotta find packed sand or get in the water where there is a dip in the sand underwater from the waves. Not me though, too many things with too many teeth for me to be venture in this time of year when you'd be the only "target" in the water. Find a park with a sand play ground and you'll double your money-:) and possibly find a mom's ring.

Sorry for not replying before now! I live a little under an hours drive from the SoCal beaches. The closest to me would be Huntington beach and then Newport/Balboa beach's etc;. Because the weather here is fairly stable and predictable year round with little to no storm action unlike the East coast beaches, the terrain of most of the beaches up and down the coast remain the same. There are many detectorists sweeping the dry sand with a few hunting in the waters so there is stiff competition on the dry at least. I'm not a water hunter and prefer to stay on the dry sand, relying heavily on fresh drops.
The best time to detect in my opinion is early evening just when the people are leaving to go home. If your an early riser or a night hunter, go during the night through into the early morning. The beach sweepers do a good job in cleaning the beaches and they are out about 4am-5am or so. Not sure when they start but Ive seen them around that time. Because of the dry and sunny warm/hot weather, there are always tourists year round.
Santa Monica beach attracts thousand's of tourists and that is an awesome place to detect. I have been there in past years but it's a little too far for me.
There are a few detectorists which occasionally post here on the forums that actively detect the beaches here so hopefully they will chime in and share their observations as well.

Thanks for the input all, especially goldstrike. My family and I were at Huntington Beach today, but I didn't detect. We went to the dog beach and I was afraid to see what "buried treasure" I would find. Lol. Probably get up early again and hit San Clemente at sunrise. There's definitely worse ways to start a day.

wait till south or SW swells hit on higher tide days. Then just show up about 3 hrs. after the high (when it starts receding) and work it out. Erosion hunting will spoil you. When you get into conditions where you dig 200 coins in an area the size of your living room, you'll never go back to any other kind of beach hunting again :)

Tom_in_CA said:
wait till south or SW swells hit on higher tide days. Then just show up about 3 hrs. after the high (when it starts receding) and work it out. Erosion hunting will spoil you. When you get into conditions where you dig 200 coins in an area the size of your living room, you'll never go back to any other kind of beach hunting again :)
Hehe how true Tom, we lost another foot at the pier today in the rain an the cut line is back another 10 feet. I'll see you soon.:twodetecting:

Once a month I take my RV to The Bolsa Chica Camp grounds (Near Huntington Beach) for a 3 day Chill.
I will do some dry sand hunting looking for the fresh drops. Then I will take my TDI pro on the wet sand at Negative tide doing the (digging to china workout)

No in the water hunting here, as the wave's / currents / sewage spills will knock you out cold.

I will be there this weekend, stop by and have a cold one :cheers: