Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any thoughts on the Fisher 1280X?

Ex-Sox

Got a chance to trade for a BNIB Fisher 1280X and know nothing about it. I use an F75 and have a LTD on the way so I do like Fisher products but know nothing about this type. Any help would be appreciated! HH

Im in Arkansas so salt is out of the question. Water hunting has always been interesting to me and I know a few of these creeks have to have some Civil War stuff in them so I guess I would at least try it. I was really wondering if they are good machines I guess. I appreciate your reply!

Had one for years, Good fresh water detector. Hot on silver, 2.4 hertz. I have also used it in salt water quite often. It talked back alot in the salt but was ok. Did find alot of gold with it.

When he says hot on silver he means it. I found a mens band well over a foot deep. Took lots an lots of scooping. And by that time I had pinpointing on that machine down pretty good. I had one with an 8 inch coil.

The machine has pretty much no bells and whistles. But its tones it makes generally tell you what it is your about to dig...after a while you can predict if its a penny, bobby pin, or pull tab.

Its built like a tank. For a first dabble into the water, its a great place to start. Its sensitive enough to find a small toe ring.

Its not for salt water. And keep this word of wisdom. Keep your discrimination down around 2 MAX. Crank sensitivity up and lower it until it no longer falses. If your looking in a trashy area...it may frustrate you...but...its a good machine no less.

I own a newer one now...still 8 inch coil. I am gonna bring it hunting with me saturday as a backup. I love the 1280. Id never sell mine. Even though I hardly use it. Lets hope no tstorms this sat!!

Hope this helps. HH. -Joe

gobble-gobble said:
Had one for years, Good fresh water detector. Hot on silver, 2.4 hertz. I have also used it in salt water quite often. It talked back alot in the salt but was ok. Did find alot of gold with it.

I owned a 1280X with the 10 inch coil. I owned it for over 20 years. Bought mine new in 1989. It is old technology but it is good technology. Found lots of stuff with it.

The 1280X is not really good at the surf line in salt water. It will false like crazy when a wave runs over the coil. It does calm down some when in calmer salt water away from the beach wave wash. It is a very good dry sand machine.

It is one great fresh water machine. As stated by others, it is built like a tank. It will run a long time without putting in new batteries. It is kind of heavy and swings with some effort. If you have problems with arms or shoulders, then the Fisher 1280X is not for you. It is well balanced but it is heavy.

I bought mine new for $750 including the hard case. Sold it about a year ago for $450. Used the money for another Excalibur II 1000. I am more into salt water hunting and shoreline hunting so the 1280X had to go.

I would recommend the 1280X for fresh water and land hunting. It is a classic that is still being made today. One of the longest production runs for a metal detector. They must have gotten it right the first time because they have not made hardly any changes to it since it was first made.