Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anybody ever find a buried jar of coins???

beachguy777

I just thought I'd liven things up a bit with that question, but in all honesty, that or finding any kind of gold coins are my two "dream finds". I met a person years ago, who told me that their grandfather or someone in their family used to bury coins in jars around the house somewhere. I remember getting excited about it even back then. I only wish I had written their name down. I might try to contact them now. I for one would love to hear any stories on this plight. Marc Trainor.

Hi Marc, Yep my Grandmother used to bury a jar of coins in the dirt floor of my Grandad's tool shed. I remember seeing them. this was back in the early 60's. My Mom told me later that she had 900.00 at one point in time! But I know that it was dug up eventually. Just thought I would tell a little story. Marc how have you been doing with your Quattro? Ok CU later and God Bless.

John Tomlinson,CET
John's Detectors:minelab:

Hi Marc. My brothers used to bury jars filled with one and two cent coins when they were young. Later in the years, visiting my mum, they decided to look for the jars, of three, only found one, before mum put a stop to them digging up the whole backyard!!
Golden:rofl:

That's a good story John. I believe there's still some "loot" buried out there in jars somewhere, but I need to get busy and do some research and try and find some of it. I'm doing OK with the old Quatro. Still love it. I just need to get out more and get with it. Have a lot of personal stuff I'm trying to clean up right now, but I'm earmarking more time in the near future to get going, especially because I live in San Diego, Ca. which is a beach, tourist community, and you know what that means for metal detectorists, at sunset. Take care, and good to talk to you Wire-chief. God bless you too. Marc.

Hey, but I'll bet it was fun. I burried a little steel Pirates chest down our canyon when I was a little bitty punk and it may still be there. I may try and contact the owners of our previous home to see if he'd let me look. Just a little change in it, but you know, it was fun burring it back then. That was back in the 50's. Marc.

as they were into gold, is to bring home these large green plastic bins full of dirt from the goldfields, as set up a slucing system in my mother's backyard, and shift through all the dirt, looking for the gold! That's how keen they were! They'd dug long narrow ruts in my mum's lawn, ran the hose over the sluce, washing away the dirt, leaving the gold behind. My mum got sick of the mess, and evetually convinced them to give it away, and they had to put the lawn right back to how it originally was. It was so funny to see it, and they were really keen to find the gold. Pretty enterprising, huh?!:rofl:

You know I can certainly see where it would "tick" your mom off, but gee, what, a creative little deal they had going on there. Smart stuff, in my eyes. So they really did find some gold through all that? Great story. Marc.

Hi Beachguy, yep they did find gold, mostly fine gold, more like your alluvial or placer gold as they call it over there! The dirt they brought home was from old goldfields, from creek beds mostly, that had the gold and other concentrates like what we call here blackjack, one of the heavies you look for at the bottom of your gold pan, which indicates that you are panning off properly. The gold was mostly from around the Ballarat/Bendigo region in Victoria, for all you Aussies reading this!!!
Cheers Golden:)