Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anybody seen one of these before?

godigit1

[attachment 275596 SSThunts1stsetbatteries006480x360.jpg]

[attachment 275597 SSThunts1stsetbatteries007420x315.jpg]

[attachment 275598 SSThunts1stsetbatteries008420x315.jpg]

[attachment 275599 SSThunts1stsetbatteries009420x315.jpg]

This shovel was found in a barn I cleaned out for my girlfriend she inherited after her parents passed. It was with some other custom crevacing tools.
Her grandfather was a mule skinner and blacksmith in the gold rush logging town of Pino Grand and was murdered when his son fooled around with another mans lady. Well the guy came drunk waiving a gun and her grandfather took the bullet. Inside one on the steamer trunks we found his blood soaked matted up coveralls.

I have never seen a clam shell shovel like this before and it may be his handy work!

Has anyone here seen one like this before? Its next to a 8 foot piece of plywood and itself is about 8 foot 9 inches long.

The handle is thick and strong even though it may be over a hundred years old.

Thanks for any Info.
Jim

Hey Sweepdog,
Thanks for the lead I did a bunch of searching and Think I found it.
The honey dipper shovel I was able to find had a 90 degree angle head.
Frank at the prospector shop in auburn hit it on the head but I couldn't see it and still don't see how flat head angle was used for post holes but that is what they had.

I found this book on ebay and the telegraph post hole digger is really close to my shovel.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/380574035258?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I think it was being used as a prospecting shovel by its owner though as it was with some customs crevice spoons.
It works great for small creeks you can drag rocks out with the spoon it has great leverage and super thick handle. And it does not drop soil form the spoon, basically you can slide it in and out of the creek without lifting it and just dump your gravel high and dry to be panned or sluiced.
That's how I have used it you can see I have worn the leading edge clean the one time I took it to Weber Creek.

Thanks again it sent me in the right direction.
Jim

I used to have one of those on my truck when I strung temporary power on construction sites. Its called a "digging spoon" and works good on digging near verticle holes.