Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone Compare the 705 X-Terra With the Nokta FORS CoRe

jimz49

I been thinking about buying a Fors Core and was wondering if anyone has done a side-by-side comparison of the CoRe with an X-705. I saw the utube comparisons of the CoRe, Dues, CTX and a couple other machines, but haven't seen anything that included the 705. If anyone has both and has made that comparison, I would appreciate their insight.

but is completely honest because I always try to base my comments and answers on my own personal, in-the-field use of various makes and models. I owned an X-Terra 70 when first introduced and worked it against a lot of detectors. I have used a few 705's that I borrowed from a dealer friend, or that folks have brought to a day-long or two-day seminar. There are several reasons, including ergonomic, adjustment and performance, why you do not see an X-Terra listed below in my main-use detector arsenal.

Yes, the 705, like many other metal detectors from various manufacturers, can work and do a reasonable job for many applications. Certainly enough to satisfy many users, but I rely on several 'field test scenarios' when evaluating any detector, and then I blend those end decisions with real-world performance and base my personal detector selection on the total end results. I search mainly older locations, often quite littered with iron and rusty tin, and with a wide range of ground mineral challenges that come with the territory [size=small](Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming)[/size].

For my site selections and site challenges, I rely on a few models from White's, Teknetics and Tesoro, all of which provided better performance, given site condition specifics, than the Minelab X-Terra's. Also, just to clarify one often mentioned topic, I personally prefer a Concentric search coil for the bulk of my hunting with the models I own, but I worked with Double-D coils on these and other models as well. I do have a couple of DD coils in my personal detector /coil arsenal. I am not totally hesitant to use any Double-D coil specific detector, and with the right size coil for the task at hand, I have had satisfactory results. A couple of those were the 5" DD on the Teknetics T2, and the 5" DD and 5X10 DD on the Omega [size=small](which also worked quite well on the Fisher F19)[/size].

jimz49 said:
I been thinking about buying a Fors Core and was wondering if anyone has done a side-by-side comparison of the CoRe with an X-705. I saw the utube comparisons of the CoRe, Dues, CTX and a couple other machines, but haven't seen anything that included the 705. If anyone has both and has made that comparison, I would appreciate their insight.
Because my search sites and detector needs are a little more demanding than the bulk of the metal detecting hobbyists, I am always open to giving consideration to any quality built detector to see if it might provide the field performance that I and others in our society of old site searchers might enjoy.

Honesty: I haven't used the FORS Coin & Relic model yet, but have been in touch with a friend who's worked the FORS Gold.

Opinion: I already know the X-Terra 705 pales in all-around field performance and expectation of results for the sites I/We hunt, which is why I use what I use. Biased, yes, in favor of models that do what I need, where I needs them, and are still 'simple' to operate.

Plan: I am going to get a FORS Co/Re detector in the next few months before I set out on a multi-state adventure to search at least 7 ghost towns, two stage stops, and two, possibly three old homesteads from the 1851 to 1878 era. Several of these we have hunted in the past when I put the X-Terra 70 or borrowed 705 to work and was less than excited with their performance.

I think the FORS Co/Re unit is in a different class than the 705 based upon its overall design and performance. I seriously doubt that the 705 would do what the Coin/Relic model will do in many sites. The 705 might be smaller and handier in size and configuration, and maybe be more fitting for a lot of urban Coin Hunting, but the FORS Co/Re, from what I see and hear, is a design more fitted for the Avid Detectorist who has the time and patience to learn it well for more challenging site conditions.

Just my biased, but honest, opinions. If you are thinking of getting one, I would encourage it. Give it some real in-the-field tests and pit it against the 705 then report back on YOUR opinions, biased or not.

Monte

I used to have an X-Terra 50, then 70, and finally a 705. The 705 has a really great all metal Prospect mode, but I always thought it had a lackluster coin or discriminate mode. Kind of like an Ace with more features. I currently do have a FORS Gold which is the same as a FORS CoRe less the Beach/Salt mode (called COG on the CoRe).

The question is, side by side comparison doing what? Like a lot of European machines the FORS have an uncanny ability to sniff non-ferrous targets out if ferrous trash and mineralized ground. The feature list might be considered by some to be limited because it relies heavily on either a two tone ferrous/non-ferrous mode named DI2 or a three tone mode called DI3. Perfect for me as usually I just hunt all non-ferrous. DI3 adds the capability to focus more on high conductors if desired.

The FORS with the stock coil is formidable in high magnetite soils (I am in Reno) and with the small coil positively deadly. I already ditched my DEUS and Gold Bug Pro in favor of the FORS and other detectors I have may very well follow. Do not take that to mean it has everything everyone wants, but it does get the goods and does it for a bargain price. Forget the FORS Gold though and get the CoRe as like I said, same machine, same price, just one less mode with the Gold. The Pro Pack is a bargain. Look in the Findmall Prospecting Forum for my full review of the FORS Gold with good photos of what you get in the package. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?27,2123824