Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone Ever Take Out One Of Your Antique Machines For A Nostalgic Hunt? :detecting:

Yup. That was a ground-breaking machine for its time. Came out in about 1978. But ... word travelled slower in those days (pre-internet). So we really didn't see any of them out and about till 1979 and 1980-ish. The first guys to swing those in the turfed parks, were getting an immediate 2" or so, over the prior TR disc. guys. And they covered ground a lot faster ! haha

Granted, by today's standards, it's not that deep. And it was prone to masking with the long "tail" on all the signals. But for its time, it was the top dog ! I was stubborn, and got Garrett's answer to the 6000D, when they came out with the ADS II and ADSIII. But it never quite measured up to what the 6000D guys were getting.

And the final incarnation of that line: The 6000 Di pro was a good machine too. I know some guys who are still, to this day, swinging the 6000 Di pro.

Yes. Prior to the introduction of the 6000D : Garrett was the choice of the pro's. At least in my area. The groundhog and deepseeker were superior to, for example, the 5000 D series I.

But when the 6000D came out, a lot of guys switched alliances and went with Whites.

Then starting in the late 1990s and early 2000s, everyone here was making the shift to Minelabs.

I haul out my old Compass Judge 2 auto when having to hunt through gruesome iron filled patches. It requires good coil control re. height, but ignores iron and has a setting that will knock out bottlecaps while still getting lo conductors.

Not quite an antique, though a very effective machine. Great deal of settings available for that era. I still take her out for a lil casche hunting. AM mode is actually very good on larger targets. I've read where others say this and the CX + are very effective on chains and small jewelry,I believe thats with the super sniper coil. Wish I could find the 12.5 inch coil for it.I have always luved this machine. The treasure talk can get a little irritating. I leave it on treasure talk A, just announces off,on and settings adjustment. Always fun to see people's faces when it talks on turn on. I believe it was the first talking metal detector.
Still an enjoyable machine to run. And like John said. Balances beautifully,same body as his CX +.

Anyone have the old Crossfire 12.5 inch coil for it? Hopefully in nice shape.

Terry

search

A trip down memory lane :)

I sold it a few years ago and I regret it. It was my favorite nostalgia detector to take out and was still one of the best for audio and target ID I thought....maybe not as deep as new stuff but more stable on the meter and audio was awesome IMHO.
Now I need to go find one again....

Oh but if I could only go back in time. To 1985 or '86 when that was introduced. And be the first to swing that puppy in old-town-turfed parks. :ranting:

I gave the CX plus to my little brother up in Maine.
I still dig out my oll CX3 Power for fun.
The LiL 4.5" sharpshooter coil is still dandy in tot lots.
Grand kids love grandpa's old talking metal detector. 😊

I will take an older, simple machine any day over these modern tech ones. If I go over a good target and don't detect it, I'll never know it was there...lol

Should get my "new" fisher 551d today.....looking forward to taking it out and giving the deus 2 boys a right spanking 😂😂.
Joking aside its just for a bit of fun and im sure it will be interesting to other detectorists.