Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone Experience This With The ACE 250

ron_c

A friend had his lawn scraped of black soil and replaced with sandy loam 8" deep by the time it was rolled and compressed. He ask if I would check it out and remove all metal found with a metal detector. There wasn't really that much metal and the usual, iron and tabs. One spot, the 250 was indicating iron and also jumping up to the coin range but mostly in the iron range. After digging the target it turned out to be a clad dime laying where the sandy loam and black dirt met and was a measured 7 3/4" deep. Looked and looked for any iron but couldn't find anything. Filled in the hole and dug another hole down to the black soil and pushed the dime into the wall of the hole. Again it would detect the dime that deep and again it was mostly in the iron range. I was using the 9x12 coil. Any ideas?

Lots on the newer coins(dimes) now are made with iron covered by a layer of nickle or mixed plating
If it is Canadian that would notch as iron or ferrous.

The deeper the coin the less signal it receives. It than reads lower. Anytime I get a signal that is jumping like that from iron to coin I know I have me an old one or a deep one. You just learned a trick with the Ace. There are a lot more.

ron_c said:
It was a US dime. Forgot the date, a 2000 something.

1965 to 2007 2.2700 g. Compositon: Copper-Nickel Clad Copper17.9 mm.

Dig you recheck your hole there could have been other masked target after you dug out the dime.

John hit the nail on the head this is the signal i listen for when hunting real old & deep coins

Its the same on the 1350. When you hit something in the "fringe" area it will jump from coin to iron.:garrett:

Aww man! you know how many I passed on due to the iron- flip - coin ID????????? Most of the time It's a nail,(other machines) I'll start checking em now. Darn it!!!!! :rage: We should have had this talk about two months ago!

I went back to my friends house and finished up his yard this morning. The sandy loam was really pretty trash free. While there, I did an experiment. Using silver dimes this time, I dug small holes and inserted a silver dime into the wall of the holes at 5", 6", 7", 8" and 9". I had to add some of the sandy loam so it would be at least 10" deep before hitting the native soil. Now remember, this is sandy loam soil and freshly buried coins. Using the 9x12 coil and max sensitivity, which I call sensitivity of 8, it could not find the 9" dime at all. Again the 8" dime would jump from iron to the 25 cents icon and did indicate that it was 8" or so on the depth. I could get a bell tone one way only some of the time and on the return sweep the iron icon and signal. Turning the sensitivity down to 7, one notch below max, it wouldn't hit on the dime, no signal what so ever. Moving on to the 7" silver dime, it was a good bell tone both ways with a sensitivity of 8 and indicated the depth was in the 8" range. It would also hit just below the 10 cent icon up to the 25 cent icon. I started turning the sensitivity down until it would no longer give an signal on the dime. When I turned the sensitivity down to a 5 (5 bars showing), it couldn't signal on the 7" coin. On the 6" coin, again a good bell tone both ways and indicated in the 6" depth range. Had to turn the sensitivity down to 4 (4 bars showing) before it wouldn't detect the 6" dime. Same thing with the 5" dime, a good bell tone. Had to turn down the sensitivity down to a 3, (3 bars showing) before it couldn't detect the 5" dime. I was quite surprised that this little machine would detect a freshly buried coin that deep even if it is in a sandy mix of soil. Well, the experiment is over, workers are here to lay out the grass and I have to get out of the way.

Well the workers are taking a break (shooting the bull). While they are "taking their break" I changed to the 6x9 coil. On the 8" dime using sensitivity of 8 or max, on 12 swings back and forth, it only signaled 3 times in the iron range and 3 times in the coin range. I would probably think this is only a false signal and move on. On the 7" dime with sensitivity of 8, it would hit in the iron range half of the time and on the back swing it would hit in the coin range, but only 6 times out of 12 swings. With sensitivity of 6 bars showing it was in the iron range only. Would not jump into the coin range. Sensitivity of 5 bars showing, no signal at all on the 7" dime. On the 6" dime and max sensitivity of 8 it would hit on the nickel icon and then jump to the coin range. Sensitivity of 4 bars showing, no signal on the 6" dime. On the 5" dime it would indicate just below the dime icon and then just above the dime icon. Sensitivity of 3 bars showing and no signal on the 5" dime. Well the workers are done with their "break" and I have to get out of the way. OH NO, I forgot to dig up my silver dimes! NOT.

Well thanks for the heads up. I'll start taking a look at any of the deeper flicks from now on. I got spoiled using the BHID cause ANY flick(red led) on it IS iron. Of course comparing the ACE 250 and the BHID is not a fair comp. Two 100% diff machines.

Once you get to the fringe depth of the coil, it will still pick up targets, but the accuracy of the ID starts to back off. What you have discovered is common, and good information to know about your metal detector. It puts you in a position of mastering the metal detector and being able to tell the metal detector what's in the ground, not the other way around.

Oh I agree John, just learning what it's saying is the #1 key. On deeper targets 6-8 inches w/ bounce I'll be diggin'!!!! Most machines in my exp. round up on the ID's when the machine doesn't know what to think(1265x), or round down(CZ6a) or just provide a rise in the threshold w/ NO ID.(BHID)

NO ID MACHINE IS ever 100%!!

R-n-R

I am with you my man don't feel bad I have given up alot of flickers as well...no more! And I do believe this was at that old judges 1920's homesite too...hmmmm

Don