Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone Experiencing PP Sound Issues?

Charlives

The sound is very soft for a few seconds when I push the pin point. Usually it gets loud by the second pass over the target but sometimes it never gets loud. Anyone else?

Yes. I have experienced this, and several others have commented the same, on other forums. The GOOD thing is, clicking PP off, and then back on, "fixes" it. I have a GUESS on why it happens, but bottom line, it's commonly happening, though to me its "no big deal." I have just brushed it off as a "minor, harmless quirk!" LOL. But yes, I know just what you refer to...

Steve

Charlives -- I don't think it will.

I THINK what's going on is that PP is "modulated" -- deeper stuff will sound quieter. SO, I think sometimes when you turn on PP, it's trying to decide where to "set" the modulated audio, based on the strength of the signal. So, as it's trying to "see" the target, and "figure out" how "loud" to report it to the user, it's sometimes "too quiet" for a little bit, until it can "lock on" to the target. I don't think it's a "flaw," but I'm speculating on all of this...

Steve

Charlives said:
The sound is very soft for a few seconds when I push the pin point. Usually it gets loud by the second pass over the target but sometimes it never gets loud. Anyone else?

I called Minelab about this, I was told it was normal for the Equinox and nothing wrong with my machine.

I

From my understanding and testing, the pinpoint starts at a reduced audio volume. If you pass the coil over the target and the audio drops off, the next pass should become louder and the target size smaller. I believe the machine shrinks the target much like you can do on most other metal detectors, and increases the audio volume so you can hear the peak (center) of the vco audio.

Also, if you start your pinpoint just slightly after the audio sounds off in disc mode it will automatically give you a very small pinpoint (as I said above like most machines). And if you dont allow the faint audio (deep target) to drop off (go silent) you can just pinpoint as you normally would with most machines.. but if you do let the audio go silent, it will ramp the volume on the next pass.

I think its key people understand that if the audio is faint when you first start to pinpoint it means the target is deep. And if you hear the audio get loud listen to how the tone is not high pitched but rather the lower tone like a deep target, just louder so you can pinpoint more accurately This will help in not digging shallow high pitched screaming pop cans. I learned this from someone on here.. but I cant remember who.. and its helped as I was digging shallow cans by the bucket full.. So if the audio volume is reduced at the start of pinpoint and a target screams then its got to be super shallow or big..

This is my theory as of now and its not 100%, but I hope it helps.

Edit: This should help.

Edit 2.. I need to goto bed sorry for the rant...

lQ4wzK3.png

Seems if you raise the coil off the ground a few inches then hit pinpoint button it doesn't do it.. it doesn't bother me enough that I tried alot of different things yet. It's so fun to use with amazing results I pay less attention to any things that may normally bother me.

basstrackerman said:
Seems if you raise the coil off the ground a few inches then hit pinpoint button it doesn't do it.. it doesn't bother me enough that I tried a lot of different things yet. It's so fun to use with amazing results I pay less attention to any things that may normally bother me.

I noticed this too. If pinpoint is engaged while the coil is in the air then lowered to the ground the vco will ramp slightly do to ground mineralization, and because the vco keeps its slight audible tone and never goes silent, the pinpoint wont ramp the audio up. Its like a regular pinpoint, but I'm guessing your ground balance may play a good part in this also. And depending on how loud your pinpoint is when lowered to the ground (with no metal under it, just mineralization) it could possibly mask the quieter target your pinpointing..I'll have to test this and see.

The machine is excellent IMO.. at first I hated the pinpoint but I'm starting to find it pretty amazing. Dug several 9" deep coins yesterday. I've never dug so many deep coins consistently.

Been out twice now and I haven't had much luck with the pinpoint function as of yet. I just narrow my "wiggle" and draw the coil towards me until I lose the signal. In my limited use, the target has been located at that point.

With both my Safari & the old Garrett GTA500 if you hit PP right over the target it often didnt work.
Cant speak for EQ yet......
Cure is to start PP off the taget.
HH Tom
LFOD !